No holes in my firewall

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: No holes in my firewall
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Here I am posting an awful lot again. Sorry Tim, but inquiring minds gotta know. On my'21 I can see no holes in the firewall (wood) where the pivot/bellcrank was for the choke control.I realize they would have been very small nails or screws, but there are NO holes. Both slots are present but I don't have the choke or carb adjusting rods. Did a '21 not have the pivot? Did it have a cable? I looked at a friend's '25 and it has the pivot/bellcrank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Tommy,

I apologize but I do not remember your car (ok -- so many of them do look similar).

First the easy part -- no, it would not have been a cable used for the choke. Ford USA did not use those. (I don't think the other countries did either -- but I haven't checked.)

A starter equipped car would have had the bell crank on the firewall so the choke could be applied while cranking the car with the electric starter.

But what if the car was NOT starter equipped? From a sample size of 1 (not that many) the 1925 original unrestored non-starter touring car had the bell crank attached to the metal firewall and the car never had a starter. (Ref page 28 of the Mar - Apr 1988 "Vintage Ford" article "Henry's Loss Leader.")

And if your car was a starter equipped car -- then it doesn't matter if the non-starter car was or was not equipped with the bell crank. All the starter cars had it until it was replaced by the choke on the carb adjustment rod in late 1925. (See illustration at: https://www.modeltford.com/item/6213B.aspx )

If others have additional details, please let us know what they are.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration