Installing a new exhaust manifold

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Installing a new exhaust manifold
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

I'm trying to install a new exhaust manifold on my 26 touring (24 engine). I'm using the copper crush rings with the split steel glands. The glands are poorly made, just a little ribbon of steel rolled into a circle. None of them are the right size, I can't even insert them into the copper rings nor into the registers in my block or manifold unless the ends overlap.

Any reason they have to be split? I'm thinking of machining some out of stainless steel if I have a piece of 1" s.s. pipe in my junk pile. If I do this I will leave them solid unless one of you guys know of a reason why I shouldn't.

Thanks for any comments you may have. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

That should work fine. The ones that you get in the Snyders packages are sometimes off a bit. I've had to trim them using a pair of tin snips to get them to fit in the hole. Like any reproduction part, they need a bit of finessing sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Might try scraping out the recess in both the block and manifold then checking again. There might be a good amount of carbon rust or what not in them. The gland rings are simple, made from tubing and slit. The reason for the slit is to allow them to fit tight in the hole, give them some crush/spring. I have had one in the past get hot and blow out into the exhaust pipe.
What is the outside diameter of your tubing? They need to be about 1.25" OD.
If the tubing will work, go for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

I use 1 1/4" exhaust pipe, cut to length. Usually it needs a bit of work to get it into the manifold and block recesses. The thickness of the pipe allows me to linnish some off the O.D. and make a short taper in the gland. This helps with the fitting of things are not exactly in line.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

If the ends overlap, you might try a file. The reason for the split is to get a tight fit. They should be bent to be slightly larger than the step in the ports and then push the ends together to snap them into place. When they are in place the ends should not overlap.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

Just squeeze them a bit, and they should fit. I haven't ever run into a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 08:40 am:

I found a little piece of 1" stainless steel pipe. I'm going to machine some glands from that.

Gentlemen, thank you for your input. I read this forum every day for knowledge, inspiration and even comedy. :-) It is great knowing that we can call on each other with T problems, large or small. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 11:34 am:

Robert;
Is the 1 inch inside or out? The inside diameter should be just over 1 inch (1.100+/-" approx.). There doesn't need to be any more restriction on the air flow by making the passage smaller esp the exhaust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 02:10 am:

Hi, Mark. The outside diameter of 1" pipe is 1.315". I'll be able to turn that to the size I need and then bore the interior to give it a thin wall. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:39 am:

Robert,
1" would be no good to you, as Allan has said, the OD needs to be 1 1/4"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:45 am:

Sorry Robert, I see it now, you have thick walled pipe to work with.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration