Carb issue

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Carb issue
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

I haven't had any problems with my NH carb with my 26 rpu. I did some work on the starter and put a really nice tank in it a few months ago. It ran fine when I finished. So it has sat for a couple months. I put the new hot battery in and it wouldnt run except on starting fluid. As soon as the fluid runs out it stalls so it's a carb problem but being I have never had carb problems with this t not exactly sure if there is anything to do except take it apart. The bowl has gas in it. Last how many turns should I turn the needle from closed?? Thanks in advance for the advise!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

It should start and run with the carb mixture opened 2 turns from closed. Then you need to adjust for best operation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Thanks I will take it apart and clean it out and adjust it out 2turns and try it from there. Thanks Royce. I assume it's this bad gas it already looked rough when I drained it but I assume it's sticky. I will drain them from now on when I park them for a while. My job is keep3 me from getting to work on my cars much to many 15 hour days. Thanks for the info. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

I've seen lots of forum gripes about all sorts of problems caused by gas going bad. But I've never had a starting or running problem because of that. Any problems I've had were for some other reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Steve I will drain the fuel out of the tank too. I am going out Now to pull the carb and clean it and I will put new fuel in her tank and see if she runs right. This is one of those cArs that never fails to start. I assume it's the bad gas sitting in the carb the last 3 months. I even had a bad tank of fuel in New honda push mower drained it and all was good. I will let everyone know. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 09:13 am:

Tim, I assume you are referring to the 26 or 27 since that is what is in your profile. Have you disconnected the fuel line at the sediment bulb and checked for flow there? If there is a modern filter in the fuel line remove it and throw it in the circular file. Is the needle valve stuck allowing the carb to slowly fill up but then run out quickly. Sounds like fuel and these are the "usual suspects".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 09:25 am:

Yes this is on a 26 roadster pickup. I did add a filter when I had a a dirty tank but now I put a really nice tank in and it ran and drove perfect but now 3 months later it acts like it does have fuel. I opened the fuel bulb and fuel ran fast and free and I took the fuel filter off a few minutes ago and drained the tank and going to put fresh gas and pull the carb and clean it out and check the needle valve and float.maybe this will fix it. It is the carb for sure! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 09:41 am:

When the gas goes bad in your tank it can cause a world of problems. Tim's lovely 1914 had ALL the valves stuck open because the gas went bad in his car. When he tried to start the car after a 25 mile run it had no compression. Lots of folks tried everything imaginable - even Marvel Mystery oil - and were unable to make it run well for long at this year's Texas T Party. (this photo of David Harris next to Tim's car is from last year's tour). He is going to have to disassemble it and clean out all the gum from the bad gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 11:08 am:

I am drained the gas and have to carb off gonna give her a clean and will let u know what happens. She ran on starting fluid so maybe fresh gas and a carb clean will have her running in just a while. Will post what happened later today. Thanks for everyone's help.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 11:12 am:

Today's gas goes to crap in 3 months, maybe less, so I bet that's your issue. I run Stabil in my fuel all the time, and add extra when I lay 'em up for the winter. So far, so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Well Tim W. it was the gas. The float was stuck and sticky so I took it all apart and cleaned it in the vat put it back together and runs great. Should have done it yesterday as soon as it didn't start and run. Thanks everyone and please put fuel stabil in your cars as Tim W. said I normally use it but ran out and paid the price. I put 100 percent gas in this time or that's what the sign said.. Going to take my grandson for as ride today he is 5 and calls it the model A most of the time but today he started calling it the model T. So good day all the way around!!Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

Yes: It was the gummed bad gas sticking the intakes open, and even Gator and Mike could not completely solve the problem. After I got home,I continued shooting solvent on the stems and finally got them freed.Then I opened up the Holly G and could not believe the gummed up junk therein. Took it completely apart, soaked and re-assembled. Then I discovered number 4 intake adjustable lifter had come un-tightened and the valve would not close. "Fixed" that I hope although difficult to tighten. Ready for some good news.

Will be using green marine Stabil from now also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

I am working so many hours by the time I put in the new starter and Bendix and changed out a bunch of hardware store bolts for what belonged on it 3 months had passed but with a carb clean and new gaskets she is happy again. I just drove the T 40 miles. No issues. The new gas is garbage unless you burn it out pretty frequently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 06:21 pm:

Tim, Maybe the gas you are getting is marginal in freshness and quality? I only buy gas from a gas station that moves a lot of gas and displays the brand. stations that don't display the brand of gas are usually receiving gas that could be old and probably don't have the good additives in it either. just sayin . Ken

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration