Sad trip to storage ....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Sad trip to storage ....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Piled up the "T" related stuff into the T's pickup bed, did one last check of oil, water, fuel, etc .. and took off for this year's storage location .. about 1 1/2 hrs away in 'T' time ... about 50 miles. Was virtually all freeway. I had never driven the ol' girl that far before, really .. but it was doing really well. The path was pretty flat, with about the only 'hills' being the overpasses. My wife was in the chase / return vehicle, and said I was going pretty well ... averaging about 43 on the 'flats, 50 going up an overpass, and might hit 50 on the way down. I didn't have it wide open, so thought that was pretty good. So far, sounds like a normal trip, eh?

But then ... noth'n.... the engine quit. No pop, or bang. I did notice the MotoMeter was running towards the top, but when I stopped a couple times to check the water was up, and didn't 'seem' hot. After checking things out, .. the only thing I found was the pin holding the emergency brake handle, had come out ..but that only effects the spur at the bottom. I got in and it started right up. Proceeded somewhat normally, but a little slower. Then it did it again. The 2nd and 3rd times, I could barely get it into 2nd gear, and it would bog right down... like it had no power... no oomph.

I had called the fellow who's shed I was going to store it in for the winter ... and he offered to come tow me the rest of the way. By the time he got to me, we only had about 4 miles to go, so we took side roads, as he towed me the rest of the way.

It is in storage .. kinda wish I could pull the engine now, and work on it over the winter. But ... guess I'll just save my pennies ... flat bed it back to the house, and pull it in the spring. I knew it was coming ... just was hoping it would be a few more years yet! :-)

It does start readilly, and rev up to a point, but doesn't rev as much, and when putting it in gear, it's like it just runs out of steam.

Guess I'll find out in the spring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Sounds like fuel starvation. At the speed you were going, it would use all the fuel in the carburetor and then quit. When you stopped there was enough gas to fill up the carburetor bowl and off you went again. Might be dirt in the fuel line or if you have an in line filter the filter was not letting you get enough gas to the carburetor. Anyway, check the fuel system.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

What Norm said, plus if you have only 2 or 3 gallons in the tank you did not have enough fuel to keep the fuel pressure needed for high speed driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Like Norm says, fuel probably. Did it sputter and die, or just quit? If it just died I would look at the timer or the keyswitch..Jim Derocher AuGres

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

I agree on those guesses. Sputter & die: fuel starvation. Sudden death: electric, most likely a loose wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 06:47 am:

How did you tow it?
When towing it more than a couple of 100 yards with the hand brake in "neutral" there's a risk you'll damage the fourth main and overheat the clutch plates since they're not getting any lubrication.

If you have any accessory transmission with a true neutral there won't be any trouble, but a standard T should better be towed in high with the engine rotating in an emergency without any trailer available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 10:27 am:

Well... another lesson learned the hard way, I guess... :-( in standard T neutral.... but very slow... brobably around 5-7 mph. It least I had the tow strap double looped around the front mount above the crank... and not the axle.

It just died..I did look for loose wires anywhere I could. Ignition, firewall terminal strip, timer, plugs, etc. All appeared tight. Checked spark advance rid and links, as well as travel. I didn't take the bowel off the carb.... but did drain a bit of fuel out of the sediment bulb.

It does start right back up, though , but when putting in the shed, it seemed to have no power. Ended up pushing it in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 11:00 am:

That used to happen to me, until I found how important that carb air intake is to good operation.

It is needed to keep the car warm in the middle area and without it, the carb freezes up and soon thaws after a short stop.

I usually got a backfire before the carb froze up to let me know it was going to happen real soon.

The problem is worse on a cold or damp day.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration