Strange tool

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Strange tool
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 02:29 pm:

Where was this for??

Thanks
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

With the jack on it's side like that it must be used for pushing your car away from the wall! :-)

Perhaps an early version of a bumper jack? In the 40's and 50's a lot of jacks had that extra lip on them to hold them against the bumper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 07:02 am:

Wow- rt click the picture...an upright image will appear. Then ctrl and + keys to enlarge and the pictures can be viewed at your leisure! I was getting dizzy leaning over! NICE VISE !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 07:04 am:

OOPs- click view image after rt clicking

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

Andre
With the exception of the top your photos it looks very much like the common Ford Model T jack you find here in the USA at swap meets for about $10.
Here are photos of two I purchased at Hershey in October.
They usually have Ford in script on one side of the handle and the manufacturers on the other side of the handle as shown in the photo above.
Why yours has a different shaped lifting cradle top is not clear to me. If it has Ford in script perhaps it is a European version of the Ford USA design jack for the Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

Andre, it is a bit of a mystery! It would probably work as usual on the front axle, but the arm would not let it sit properly on the rear axle. Denis's suggestion about using it on bumpers has merit, but the jack is way to short for it to work on T bumpers.
Perhaps someone else can help.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

If the body is slightly lower than the usual US style jack, then maybe it would make sense for 1925 European drop frame cars?

I can see the high part is slightly rounded at the upper edge, maybe it fits under the rear axle - while the low part fits under a drop frame front axle? If so, this style would work as the flip top style used on US cars, without having to flip any top?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 11:51 pm:

Here's a regular early 20's T jack I carry in my primitive pickup. The problem is that my 1925 style drop frame front axle doesn't leave enough room for the jack under the axle, so I have to place it leaning and roll the car up onto the jack by pulling on a tire. Maybe the above style would work better? Haven't seen any in Sweden yet, though.

Iiii

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration