Shipping T engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Shipping T engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Does anyone know what a 1914 block with cam,crank,pistons,and valves weigh? No trans or pan. Shipping to Mt. and don't have access to scale until I take it to shipper. Just need approx. weight. Thank you in advance! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

Tim, I'm only guessing, but when I scrapped an empty '15 block it weighed in at 80 lbs. I'm guessing the cam, crank, etc. might add another 30 lbs.?
The other Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Probably add at least 15-20 for a decent crate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

If you ship the bare block in a separate box and all the internals in another; it can go by Fedex or UPS, but cushion the bare block in its box. Little Dearborn Ford Parts in Minneapolis, shipped me a 27 short block this way but didn't allow for the shipper to drop it from a height high enough to crack and break the oil pan rails on the bottom of the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Please be sure to crate and pack the block well. UPS had a bad "whoopsie" with this block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

Thank you,every one! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Bill, Your block and mine, must have been handled by the same employees. compared to your block, mine might have been repairable. Every shipping company employee must automatically assume that anything weighing over 80 pounds is solid and therefore indestructible. You can't damage a T block dropping it from a few inches above the surface it is over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

Bill,

OUCH !

Was that recent? And for the Metz?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

I wouldn't use UPS to ship dog poop! I used them in the past and way to many items were either lost or broken. Items I received from others who shipped to me it looked like the box was tied behind the truck and pulled down the road. I use the USPS, FedEx, and Fastenal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Ouch! (Not a Metz block)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Pallet + Yellow Freight if they are still in business. I've had zero problems with them and lost (they smashed it) $1500 and an engine with a "FU" from UPS insurance dept.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration