Coil Sound When Operating On Battery Versus Magneto

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Coil Sound When Operating On Battery Versus Magneto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Today, after inadvertently stalling my car, I proceeded to then inadvertently drive the car with the switch on "battery" for a while. I quickly noticed something seemed different from the typical engine noise I am used to hearing. I looked down and realized that I forgot to switch back over to "magneto", and as soon as I did, the familiar stopwatch like "tick...tick....tick....tick" sound of the coils returned. Puzzled, I switched back to "battery", and sure enough the discrete coil ticks went silent. I have no doubt that the coils were still functioning as the car continued to run great.

I always switch right over to magneto after starting the car on battery, so I can see why I never picked up on this before.

Is this one of the characteristics of a normally functioning ignition system? Or is it indicative of something else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Normal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

The magneto does not provide a continuous flow of electricity, you could say it come in drips. Ok at speed really fast drips. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 05:04 am:

If the magneto's good they will be spurts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 05:13 am:

I have also noticed the difference that Dan talks about. From a technical point, surely the points perform less 'work' while running on mag and should last longer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 11:23 am:

As John Regan pointed out that is normal.
Here is a link to an article Steve Coniff and I wrote several years ago in an attempt to simply explain how the Model T Ford ignition system actually works. It explains the difference when running on battery and magneto.
The Model T Ford Ignition System and Spark Timing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

Thanks all and Ron, I look forward to reading that article. It is always helpful to know the why's and not just the way that it is.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration