Carb Needle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Carb Needle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Short version - carb seemed to be flooding. Inspection resulted in broken float. I found a new float all good, but my novice carb experience led me to do some research. My carb didn't appear to have a needle. I found one and received it. Seems right, but I'm really not sure. Can anyone say this looks good / bad?

In the first photo, you can make out the wire assembly.
It fits very easily into the hole in the carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

What is that the lawn mower carb I've heard about? Yeah, if you were missing the silver thing that looks a bit like an atlas booster in the second photo your carb would pour fuel out 'til the tank was dry. The brass seat is in place so if you mount it and it doesn't dump fuel out immediately your good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

If that's a lawnmower or small gas engine carburetor you can take it to a small engine shop and probably have it repaired or buy parts for it.
A T parts supplier probably wouldn't have any parts for it.
Langs sells rebuilt NH Model T carburators and parts.

You can buy a rebuilt NH Model T carb for about the same price as the one you show in the pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

He now has the missing/broke replacement parts. The carb came on the car, so he is working with what he has.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/684248.html?1477323576
Yes everything looks correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

For some reason this didn't bump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

I. Just rebuilt a nh and it's easy and works greats. It look right on the car when your finished too.Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:35 am:

An NH is on my wish list. A good body was about 5 houses away from mine a couple weeks ago, but the mailman messed up and returned it to the seller. I'll probably try again soon.

In the meantime, this carb was on the car when I got it (thanks Mark), and worked. I suspect that at some point when I was more clueless than I am now, I took the bowl off the carb, didn't pay attention to the needle and lost it. Definitely explains me thinking that part of my starting problem was flooding. And at some point the float broke too (at the hinge). Adding fuel (not to the fire), but to the mixture.

Quick question - the needle shown in pics above is held in place seemingly very loosely by a small wire clip. The pin seems to stay generally in place. I suspect that the primary work is done by the port the holding the pin in place and the wire just keeps it from falling out. Looking at the picture with the needle sort of leaning over shows how loose it is outside of the port. Does that seem normal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:53 am:

I have an old Chraftsman roto-tiller with a smaller version of a carb very similar to that carb and almost identical to a Holly NH in operation, with the main difference being the needle valve adjusted from the bottom, rather than from the top.

It has that same little spring on the gas flow or bowl valve, which appears to only assure the valve opens to let gas in, if there is any sticky substance holding it shut.

The inside part of that valve has a very small rubber donut for a better shut-off. That donut is eaten away with the new gas every winter and has to be replaced.

Some of the NH valves have the same rubber tip on the needle part and it also gets eaten away during storage periods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 07:52 am:

Thanks James - I looked back at this thread just to find out about the rubber "donut" you mentioned above. I recalled discussion of it, but when I got the rebuild parts kit, a replacement wasn't there. Maybe it doesn't have one. If the pointy pin is pushed up into a conical port, it wouldn't be a perfect seal, but so little gas would get through, there's no chance of combustion (I think).

I'm lucky to have a lawnmower / small gas engine repair shop up the street. I'm going to swing in there and ask them - with carb in hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 08:10 am:

Update - I think that I might have figured it out. The carb needle looks like a fully metal version of the "Atlas Rocket" mentioned above. Put on the readers and with a magnifying glass, I've decided that the entire tip is made of rubber. Even knowing that, it's difficult to see the color or material change from metal to rubber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 11:14 am:

James I'm pretty sure we're talking about 2 different makes of carb. Charlie's has a brass seat and it's shown in the 2nd. & 3rd. pictures. The one you describe was used in a lot of Briggs and Techumsa engines. It's a much smaller carb and has the rubber seat you describe. It uses a similar but smaller needle than the one shown. When installing that seat the side with the rings on it goes down. That is into the body.It's oiled a bit and can be pushed into place with a smooth punch or a 1/4" bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

I don't know what's up with Charlie?? I offered him a good NH carb of a running car FREE.... All I needed was an address, no response???? I gave up on him. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 12:46 am:

Hi Don,
Apologies. I'm not sure what happened and how I missed that. I suspect that multi-tasking between my day job, Model T and other distractions may be to blame. I'd ask if you were interested in re-offering, however, I've already agreed to get an NH body from Steve Jelf.

Quick question for all - how do people keep up with only threads that they've either started or been active on. I do have trouble sometimes scrolling around in hopes of finding conversations I'm watching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 11:56 am:

To quickly find, Click on "Last Day" or "Last Week" at the top. you will get a summary of posts by topic and poster. you can easily scroll down looking for those you are interested in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Also you can log into your profile where you can see all your posts either as OP or your replies

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration