Is really a 1908 Model T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Is really a 1908 Model T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

https://youtu.be/Z3Qlq0uQJLA While looking at youtube I saw this video that says this is a 1908. Not having ever seen an '08 before I'd be curious to hear your comments regarding what features on the T are really '08. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Not an early expert by any means but I didn't see any 08/09 T's. Especially and including the one with the 1908 license plate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

There's no such thing. The 410 Model T's made in late 1908 were 1909 models. From the very beginning, people have been confused by the difference between calendar year and model year.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG90.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

From what limited views of the car are possible, it looks like it has many later parts on it. Plus the whole "1908" thing, as Steve aptly describes.

Additionally, the owner suggests it's one of the first several hundred cars, (ha, let's hear a serial number). If so, why does it have 3 pedals?

It DOES look like an interesting car however. Too bad it's so misrepresented.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

Nope. Coilbox, 3 pedals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

Thanks. That's pretty much what I expected. I've never heard of a T being called an '08 either. What about the coil box? I thought the early cars had a wooden coil box. Looks like, as you say, a mixture of parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

The coilbox is from the twenties, roughly speaking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

"Course it's not an '08 but he sure seems to believe it. As Jerry says the views of the car aren't great. A look at the engine would have been nice. It would have a water pump if it's really early I think. As to the levers I've repeatedly read that the $15 conversion kit Ford offered (and required returning the removed parts) eliminated many of the 2 lever cars. I'm not "up" enough to recognize body part changes so I'll take you guys word for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

He seems to be enjoying it. It may have been called an '08 when he bought it.
The "dash lamps" look like '14s. "spark boxes" and container '15 or later. Smooth pedals, Under axle front radius rod......
I couldn't vouch for the body year but that could be '09 or '10 by my guess. It is however, more correct than the ones with the chrome engines and superchargers.
How harshly shall we judge him and what can we really do about it?
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

There's nothing to do, or want to do, except if someone (newbie perhaps) posts here about looking to buy it where he could be informed about the errors. Recall the wooden bodied T some one snapped up at what was it? $6 or $7 G's? We speculated then that it was some one who just didn't know because any one that did wouldn't have paid that price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

I guess the owner said it was a 1908 because the previous owner said so. I think he really does think its a 1908. Cant fault him I guess but since it was a T meet of sorts there may have been some T folks who could ID the car a little closer. Maybe they didn't want to speak up and just be courteous. I wouldn't want T 'experts' to pick-a-part a car I had either.
It does look like it has some later brass era parts on it. The headlight reflectors look to be freshly resilvered or maybe sealed beams that were added.
Well at least it does look like a Model T that's been kept fairly close to being authentic.
A 1908? No its not but it is a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Looks like a mutt with some later brass-era parts on it... there's nothing wrong with that, except the misinformed owner spreading further misinformation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

How many times have you heard that a car is "all original" when it obviously isn't? In most cases the misinformation comes from somebody who really believes it. People mishear, or misunderstand , or assume, and the game of telephone continues. That's why most of these videos contain some historical bunkum. I won't take time now for the hangin' judge story, but I'll come back to it later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

I am sure as time goes by there will be countless people telling him what is right and wrong with the car. He may not get any better information about it than he has now. The misinformation by the average guy who read an article somewhere is astounding.
The nice thing is that folks get excited when they see an old car and want to show they know something about it. I kind of enjoy the bizarre stories I hear, when I suppose I should correct the fellow with what I think is right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

We have to remember that the average middle age to older person 'generalizes' any antique looking car as a Model T. Its more common than you think. And they think they were all black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

You guys want to hear some REALLY bizarre stories? Try and track down a specific car. You'll hear that it's rusting away in a field, parked in a barn, sitting in someone's garage, etc etc. But you never hear a good location, name, or anything. You can go on some crazy wild goose chases for nothing.

I know exactly where the '64 Thunderbolt drag car is that raced in this area. It left over 40 years ago, yet we still to this day sometimes hear a tale of how it's still around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

When I was in high school I heard about s Doble (steam car) in the Whiskeytown area. Well, that's a big area with many small communities and lotsa ranches, rattlesnakes (some of the two-legged kind--and this was before pot growing!) and never was really able to trace it down. Of course, I was hampered by being a high school kid with no running car, nor a driver's license at the time (I was working on my Model A though!). I finally chaulked it up to "Wild Goose Chase." somewhat like looking for the 6 or so Stutz Bearcats that were reportedly sold in the era out of Yreka (actually a few have surface, apparently some of the story was true). Well, apparently same thing about that Doble, I recently saw something about a Doble that was (many years ago) found in the far N. California area.
Sometimes ya just gotta go out and look! Consider it "entertainment" and don't get into dangerous situations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

OK, now I have time for the hangin' judge story.

About thirty years ago I was working part time at the local historical museum. One afternoon a fellow came in and asked about the house east of town where he was living. I knew the house. It was once the home of a local JP known as Judge Vaughn. That was around 1900 or so. Judge Vaughn's daughter was my granduncle Allie Campbell's second wife, so I had a slight family connection. This fellow was under the impression that the house had been the residence of Isaac Parker, the "hangin' judge" who sentenced 160 desperados to death. Two facts converged to create the "Judge Parker" fantasy. Allie's sister Clara married a Parker (my grandfather), and the owner of the house was once called "Judge". Those two facts went into the grinder and came out as the hangin' judge sausage, despite the fact that Isaac Parker presided in Forth Smith, Arkansas, not Arkansas City, Kansas. Bottom line: folks get things mixed up and come up with the most fanciful "history".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

Steve, you mean even before the Internet, people were getting facts screwed up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Time to start selling souvenirs Steve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 01:53 am:

I have been asked more than once if my TT is a (pick a year)
1905-1910. One guy REALLY knew his history and thought it
was an 1875 ! I had to break the news. I WISH it was an 1875,
because those are super rare ! I am pretty sure Abe Lincoln had
one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 05:02 am:

Hmm ... well if it was 1875 ... Abe was long dead ... hmm ... I guess we all have to go back to our history books. 😄

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 09:08 am:

personally, i like it when people pick my cars apart. usually i can learn something i did not know was right or not. i need to have my 1911 picked apart as i am sure i have corrections to make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 09:35 am:

Once again the "packing crate floorboards" issue raises it's ugly head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 09:59 am:

Steve, when I went on a Model T tour in 2007 that was based in Sallisaw Oklahoma, the tour included a side trip to Fort Smith and a visit to Judge Parker's courtroom.

That should be enough to recast your hanging judge legend to include Model T Fords.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 10:00 am:

And Dr's Coupe's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

That is just a typical put together Model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Ohhh Boy that was entertaining! If you go to enough car shows you will run into theses types. Whats crazy with this show, all the other model t owners tolerate his story. I don't think a single thing he said was right. There was a lot of nice T's at that show, sad they interviewed the mutt.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration