This dosen't seem right

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: This dosen't seem right
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron frazer on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/9-scariest-cars-to-drive/ss-AAjufJm?l i=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp#image=7
The writer in this article if you call it that has obviously not drove a Model T. I find driving my T is the most wonderful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

I doubt that writer has ever driven anything more exciting than a Camry...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

Of course it's a bit frightening. It's an unknown today. It's as frightening as a stick shift. If you don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron frazer on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

That is the one thing I don't want to see go when I car shop I look for a vehicle that has a stick and it seems almost non exsitant

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

The writer seems to have zero sense of adventure. I wonder if they have a similar "Scariest things to eat" list that's nothing but food they've never tried?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

Some of these articles are just Internet drivle ...Just text to get you to the page .. and/or the next, so you can click on crap in the margins.... Extremely wasteful .... and a disservice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

That's alright, learning to ride a bicycle was scary as was my first horseback ride not to mention the pogo stick, skateboard etc., etc.

Anyone who doesn't want to drive my T is excused.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

My dad was always a little scary to drive with. To this day my brother will not drive in my T. Seat belts or not. Last time he road I was not allowed out of low and cruised down the road at 5mph and he was in a complete panic attack. He will not ride in a Corvair either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Silly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

I have never been so "scared" as the first time I went into an afghan village on patrol.
It would probably be more accurate to describe it as anxiety elevated to the utter extreme,
conflicting with training and a different anxiety that I would respond properly, has things
gone sideways. Nothing did that time, but in three years, it did a few times. They were
not as "scary" as that first time when nothing happened.

What typical Americans consider "scary" or a "serious problem" is absurd these days.

Amazing what an insulated, artificial reality we have created.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

Takes all kinds I guess, but there are guys on this very forum that are scared of their T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Going through life worrying about what is scary and can kill you, in my opinion is not really living, its just participating. I still get an Adrenaline rush every time i get behind the wheel of my T, and that's the way i like it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

George, how old is your brother? If he's over mid 20s, I'd say some psychological treatment is called for--otherwise he will go through life stressed out!
Corvair??? Main reason it was "unsafe" was folks used too much air pressure in the front tires which made them squirrely! At least that's what I've read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:28 am:

Now I' am wondering if George's brother was scared when he rode with me in Oakland and Alameda a few years ago in my '48 Nash Ambassador.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:50 am:

The 'scary' part of any driving is the loose nut behind the steering wheel of other cars....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 10:08 am:

It's scary because it's hard to start? That's the best I can figure out from his little paragraph of terror. Either that or he doesn't like the fact that it doesn't have air bags, seat belts, crumple zones, automatic braking, or a Nintendo that controls everything.

How did the fact that there are more pedals than his precious Camry, and only one is vaguely the same basic theoretical operation as one in his little box of uninspired, not even receive an honorable mention in his reasoning for why it's so scary?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 10:20 am:

By-line on the article: "Cherise Threewit". (?!?)
The name says it all ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

They are called "snowflakes" - afraid of everything.

It is like the college students in Cleveland that were upset because some of the dorms were used the state police that had guns during the Republican convention.
Or the ones that were intimidated when someone put a Trump sign on the stairs at school.

I am sure there are other names for them and other definitions of snowflakes, but the flake part certainly fits.

What really scares me is that there are people like that is the World and their seems to be more of them everyday.
It looks as if the laws of natural selection or survival of the fittest have been cancelled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

Fred,

In addition to your examples are the countless people these days who are involved in very minor "fender bender" accidents and are scared to death to simply drive their car to the shoulder of the road and let traffic get by. What do they think will happen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

My model T scare occurred a couple of weeks ago. I have only had my T for a couple of months so I always put the brake/neutral lever in the neutral position and use low pedal to park my Truck in the barn.
My wifeís sister and brother-in-law were visiting and after explaining The operation of the transmission I let him drive it around the block.
He forgot about putting the lever in neutral when parking and was going a little fast so he decided to put the clutch in. Bad move.
As we motored in in low pedal I was sure that we were going to hit my 1936 John Deere BO tractor.
AT this point he panicked and pressed all three pedals to the floor and we stopped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

John,

Turning off the ignition switch works too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

The Model T does take some getting used to by today's standards; however, once you learn how to drive it there isn't an issue. I am surprised that they did not have the Suzuki Samurai on the list nor does it surprise me that the Ford Pinto made it either. With that being said, if my parents had a Ford Pinto wagon that was a fantastic car to drive. Mom drove it Safeway through St. Helen's Ash storm in 1980 with 3 kids in the backseat , it was like a tank driving in snow, and drove through Coulee ground with ease - how it got in the Coulee is another story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Jerry,
We both thought of that after it was all over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 10:37 am:

John, was the BO safe? Did he dent the sheet metal?

We have a '36 BO, and it's a pretty tractor. Kind of hard to start with all the sheet metal in the way, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

When I let someone drive the T for the first time I put a block of wood in the brake handle slot so it can't go into high gear and let them play with the low peddle.
I instruct them to not slip the bands.
After they are comfortable with the steering etc. I let them go into high gear.
about half of then say that low gear was enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:32 am:

Jared,
My BO didn't have the fenders when I bought it so many years ago.
It currently has a stuck valve and is resting in my barn/shop. I don't think that it would have been hurt much as it is pretty much all cast iron.

I would like to sell it if you know anyone that would be interested.

I like your truck.
My T is a 1925 pickup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

"But thatís not the only reason a Model T is scary to drive. Just getting the car started is such a complicated process that multiple magazines and websites have actually written how-to guides."
Idiots. Cannot/don't wish to LEARN.
"It differs from the new models" From another thread.
I nearly get a semi when I get a new (old) engine re-started after too many years. And then to drive it around? Oh my! Too cool.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration