1926-27 hood shelf blocks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1926-27 hood shelf blocks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

I went back and found a couple of old threads on the 26/27 hood shelf block that said the repo blocks tended to be too thick. When we got this T the hood shelf's were mounted using washers. I am trying to get things lined up to mount the radiator. The correct 26/27 radiator mounting bolts are installed but even by clamping the blocks and shelf down to the frame there is no way to get the spring and thimble down far enough to install the radiator even without the shell even if I were to gain an 1/8 inch by screwing the studs out from the mounting plate/nut. There are some issues with the fenders but will need to take care of later.
The old threads suggest to sand the blocks down but to what thickness? At this point we do not have an original as Ford built it starting point to base off of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

Mark,

I may be recalling this incorrectly, but I don't believe the hood shelves should interfere with the radiator mounting, even if they did sit too high. Pictures??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

For 1926/27 the radiator sits down and over the end of the hood shelf and has the wood block also under it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Mark,

O.K., my mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

One of Martin Vowell's excellent assembly diagrams. If not helpful to Mark, it at least clears up my mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Yes that's the puppy! :-) Thank you, it's a better illustration then the others I have looked at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

The blocks I've done are almost flush with the hood shelve, maybe a slight bit thicker but not much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

I have used the blocks right from the manufacturer. To install the hood, I first insert the stud and the lower spring then the flat washer and thread the stud into the washer and install a cotter pin. Then I put on the top spring and thimble and tighten down all the way. This will compress the lower spring. I then put a block of wood or any other spacer between the frame rails to hold the flat nut as high as it will go and remove the nut from the top. Next I place the radiator and top thimble with the nut and tighten down at least far enough to keep the nut in place, remove the spacer from under the frame rails and adjust for height from side to side to where the hood lines up with the cowl. Lastly install the cotter pins. It works very well for me.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

In the second sentence I should have said flat nut, not washer.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Received a phone call from Dave :-), Norman and Dave made the same suggestions. Because of other issues with fender fitment, I am going to make longer mounting bolts and try their suggestions.
Someone did a real butcher job of mounting the fenders and "irons" so will have to work around what was done in the past.
Thanks everyone.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration