What type bolt holds lower 1924 windshield in support?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What type bolt holds lower 1924 windshield in support?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

On my 1924 touring, somewhere between dismantling and getting ready to put the windshield back together (?remantling????) I have misplaced the bolts that go here and have no idea what type they should be. What was correct? It is a 5/16 -18 thread. The vendors catalogs are no help, nor is the 1924 ford catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

A slotted, round head screw goes there. Under the head of the screw is a hook that fits into a grommet in the side curtain.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Mark is right. Typically these are called "stove bolts."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

Make sure it is right length,or the glass will crack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Forgot to add that I believe it's the same bolt that's used on the transmission cover door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

IMS,they are about 5/8 length.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 08:41 am:

THANKS!

Charlie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 10:33 am:

I should have said that the bolt is the same as an ORIGINAL cover door screw. Modern replacements have more of a truss head than a round head. They work fine but just don't look right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

You guys forgot one thing! They were raven finished, and so is the side curtain hook! I'll go one step further, that bolt would be the same as the early transmission cover door, not the late.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Larry, how is the bolt the same as the door? Doesn't the door have a different thread?

;<)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Because the later transmission inspection doors were thinner, they shortened the bolts by almost 1/16" (just guessing).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration