OT - Getting ready to attend the London to Brighton Tour

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Getting ready to attend the London to Brighton Tour
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Wednesday our daughters, age 18 and 16, and I fly to London to take in Sunday's London to Brighton Run.

We're looking forward to this historic event:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wuztk0jm57etkv/London%20to%20Brighton%20Run.mov?dl=0

I haven't had the courage to show the kids the forecast yet......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Have a great trip. Enjoy your ride. Go to the British Museum and do not miss the crown jewels in the Tower.

And get some real fish and chips wrapped in newspaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Thanks Dave. I'm sure we will enjoy the experience. One old guy in a room with two teenage daughters will be interesting. Fortunately it won't take me long to do my hair.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

The Sherlock Holmes pub at 10 Northumberland St, St. James, London WC2 is worth a visit. They have Holmes and Watsons room upstairs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

Wow are you gonna have a great time! Be sure to take a zillion photos and give us a full report on the forum. You won't see any Model Ts but the brass stuff there will really get your blood moving on those chilly mornings in Hyde Park. If you've never seen the cute British comedy "Genevive" be sure to get hold of a copy.
Do you have a ride in one of the cars reserved? Never ceases to amaze me that the run is held in modern traffic.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Thomas,
Elementary.....
Good idea. Hope we see a lot of great sights.
Too bad they didn't repeal the red flag law in July.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

Terry,
Actually, our good friend John B. is providing his beautiful 1904 Ford Model C to drive. He or friend Mike will accompany us. Yes, hard to believe we will compete with London traffic. Hope I drive on the right side of the road:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

Rob, Best wishes for a great trip. This is like the Tour of Tours, kinda like the holy grail! And you're driving in it, with a Model C, no less.

We'll look forward to a report with pictures.

Have fun, enjoy the Tour and stay safe.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

No, Rob, you have to drive on the left side of the road. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Rob -- That's pretty cool that it's the "London to Brighton" tour, not the "New London to New Brighton" one. I know that you and the girls will have a great time. At least driving on the left side of the road should be easier to keep straight at 15 or 20 mph than at 70. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Was there in 1996 for the 100th running. In fact we got married there, gee, 20 years ago this year,time flies when you are having fun.

One thing that surprised us was the lack of help navigating, no police help, no towing help. You are really on your own. Lots of car clubs join in along the way for a short while. Did it once would never again.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

Don't worry about the temperatures. Just tell the girls the forecast is in Metric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:14 am:

Rob, that will be all kinds of fun for you and your girls, congratulations!

I was a passenger in a 1904 Vulcan for the 1996 Centenary Run, and was thrilled to be invited back as co-driver for the same car in 2009. It took me all of two seconds to say yes. Here are a few photos from my slide show of the event...

Starting lineup in Hyde Park. First cars are out at 7:00 IIRC, starting with the eldest. The new-fangled 1904 models are last to leave...

Duking it out with the Double-Deckers in central London:

Three Americans (Curved Dash Olds, Cadillac and Ford A) heading south:

Crew change at Crawley. The 2009 run was considered to be one of the wettest in several decades:

Our triumphant arrival at Maderia Drive in Brighton. Yours truly driving and my good friend Jerry shotgun:

The 1904 Vulcan in the 1966 Run. My UK friend Howard is the kid, his late father the driver and co-owner of that mighty steed:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:19 am:

My goodness Rob, from the registration # YJ-353, it looks like the car in my third photo is the very same Model C you will be driving but with shiny new red paint instead of the 2009 green!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:24 am:

Me again. The car I identified as a Curved Dash Olds in the third photo is of course no such thing. It's probably a Ford A, but I'll ask Rob to chime in with confirmation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 06:12 am:

ROB!!! This is SO fantastic! I have never been on that side of the pond, however, know several people that have been there and been on that annual run. If I could only do one more thing, but it could be anything, it would probably be to drive that run.

Remember, when there, You have left the right side of the road and drive on the wrong side to be right! Got it? I have watched many videos from past years, and read tour reports many times. This year will be special to follow up on, because again, a friend is there.

Take care my friend, do drive carefully, and enjoy it to the fullest!
For you, and your daughters.
I am so glad that you are doing this.
Wayne Sheldon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 06:42 am:

It appears that you are registered as start number 359, near the back of the pack with a 1904. I looked on the Bonhams site to see your entry. I have looked through most of the entries before just for my curiosity. I like to see all the wonderful cars that are going, and have had the site bookmarked in my computer for a few years. I am not sure how many actual entries there are. Some blocks of numbers are missing, and late entries get numbers in the 600s. It may appear that about 400 cars are registered this year, from 1895 through 1904 (with a few '05 models verified built before 1st January '05).
Drive carefully, and do enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Chris,
You're right, they are the same car. John just changed the Model C color back to it's original red. To the right (or left) of John's Model C, John is driving his Ford Model A:

Wayne, thank you....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

If I still lived in the sunny South you'd have seen me watching the Run at the side of road in the T. Too far away now. You'll have fun with Mr Biggs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Jem,
Sorry to hear we will miss you. Yes, John is a marvelous gentleman, and always a great gent to be around. I suspect will enjoy a few pints together.....
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Rimmer on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Hi Rob,
I have had the pleasure of working on John's Model C and also his Model A over the past week. Here's a link to a test drive we did. I'm the oily rag in the passenger seat and will be driving the Model A on Sunday. You were actually kind enough to give me and my partner a ride in your Model K a few years ago at Hershey. I look forward to seeing you on Saturday in London.
Richard
https://www.facebook.com/thetservice/posts/1075952765837383

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

Rob,

Please take a lot of photos and post them soon. Glad to see your out and about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

Bon voyage!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Rob, have fun always wanted to go see the Run and I my mom and my friend Jeremy are going in November 4 2018. Look forward to hearing about your experience in the run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

My stepdaughter did her junior year abroad in Brighton in 1986. I asked her to be sure to go see the end of the run, and take lots of pictures. She didn't. I'll forgive her on my death bed. Maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 12:46 am:

Now, Gil.

She IS your daughter.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Hunt on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

Good luck, I have been on the run as passenger in the NMM De Dion Bouton, and also on the Motorcycle Pioneer Run on an Indian. Wrap up as warm as you can, after the 50 miles to Brighton, you are always cold. I will be watching in Croydon with my 6 year old grandson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

Tomorrow's the big day....

Rob's ready to drive John Bigg's car on the run and my wife and I are ready to drive our 1904 Model A.

The weather is expected to be rather cool...but no rain.

We can cope with the cool but cool rain will be tough if the weather guessers are mistaken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

T K, You shipped your model A over there!?

Have a fantastic day!!! All of you!
I am patiently waiting to see photos and videos.
Drive carefully, and enjoy to the fullest! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Timothy K,
Looks like you are start number 364, just a few behind Rob H!
All of you, have a wonderful day!

And remember to keep to the left!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 04:30 am:

Day has dawned bright but cold & windy here in England, probably about freezing in Hyde Park at dawn when you allow for wind chill. But they should stay dry as long as they make Brighton by 2pm or so.

The finish point, Madeira Drive seafront promenade, actually hosts a copycat run nearly every weekend - MGs, Minis, Landrovers, Citroen 2cvs, you name it, they have a run. Pioneer Motorcycles (pre 1915) have been doing it since 1930. My favourite is the Historic Commercial Vehicle Society in May, every kind of bus & lorry you can imagine, even a tricycle road-sweeper that cleans the road all the way to Brighton.

Madeira Drive also has arguably the oldest drag meet in the world in September, the Brighton Speed Trials, held since 1905. A 1km timed sprint for all kinds of bike & car.

Check https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/leisure-and-libraries/events-and-filmin g/annual-outdoor-events

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 05:29 am:

I've been counting the hours and looking at clocks for hours!I expect things should be getting really busy about now.
HAVE FUN! But drive carefully. Time for me to go get a few hours sleep.
And I'll allow you blokes a couple days, but then I want to be looking at lots of photos and a few videos of the meet and the run!
Do drive carefully, and enjoy to the fullest! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 07:52 am:

A little bit of reporting here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3908472/A-sight-motor-running-fleet-beau tiful-vintage-vehicles-line-Regent-Street-ahead-Bonhams-London-Brighton-Veteran- Car-Run.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

Walter,
Thanks for the Daily mail link. I love that they showed two great U.S. cars: the curved dash Oldsmobile and my all time most favorite car, the 1903 model
C White Steam Car in it's most lovely body!

2016 London to Brighton centennial run 1903 White

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 12:29 am:

Thank you Walter H! I, too, enjoyed reading the reports. Lots of wonderful pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Biggs on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Good news from England.

Both Rob Heyen and Tim Kelly made it to Brighton in fine style.

Weather cold but dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

Good news indeed.....

And we couldn't have done it without the help of our good friends in England....John Biggs and Mike Spencer. They were both very helpful and enthusiastic.

THANKS John and Mike!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

PICTURES PLEASE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:11 am:

Dennis

After I return home and sort through the photos I'll post some.

And I am certain that Rob will be posting photos and videos.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:48 am:

Glad they made it through unscathed. My first encounter with this race was from the TV show Chasing Classic Cars. Wayne & Frank had a number of break downs and bad weather. I was later told by some one who knows them both that, except for the weather, the breakdowns were scripted. Which doesn't explain why they didn't finish unless they actually couldn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Biggs on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 04:49 am:

There are some photos available on the official website. Unfortunately, there is an overlay to make you buy the photo but they give a good idea of the event.

Go to the URL below and enter the car number.

Tim is 364 and Rob is 359

http://gallery.sussexsportphotography.c ... 8932507125

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 06:59 am:

John,

I couldn't get the page to open is there another link to the photos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Biggs on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 06:59 am:

Apologies. The URL got corrupted in the posting.

Try:-

http://bit.ly/LBVCR-2016-Gallery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 07:20 am:

Works great Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 07:51 am:

What a great event! Wonderful old cars and great people!

Thank you for the links and updates.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

Glad you had an opportunity to participate in a Bucket List event! Was in the 1996 run in a 1903 Olds. Cold and wet most of the way but never lost the smile on my face!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 08:17 am:

Rob,

I thought your daughters were to ride along with you on the run? Did not see them in any of the pictures taken. Anyway, looks like you had an awesome time with memories that will last a life time!

Cheers,
Willis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration