Wooden wheel question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wooden wheel question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Got finished driving my old 26 rpu and noticed one of the wooden spokes was really badly rotted on my front right wheel. My other cats have all had wires. My new guy question is what do you call the 21 inch wheels. I hear you guys speak of split rims. This is a steel ring and it looks like the wooden spokes are held in place inside the ring. looks like the inner with the wood part bolts on the edges of the steel with threads sticking out and a nut holds it on. If you could show a pic of what is correct I could at least call about some rebuilt rims. Sorry for the description. I have always had wires on A models and my 27 T. Thanks in advance Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

More than you wanted to know:

This is the kind of wheel used until 1919. The steel rim holding the tire is permanently attached to the wooden felloe. It's non-demountable. Note the wood felloes have rounded edges between the spokes. These wheels were 30 x 3 in front and 30 x 3 in back.

These are the nondemountable wheels that were standard on open cars in the twenties. The only difference from the earlier wheels is that they're "square felloe" wheels, without the earlier rounded edges. They were 30 x 3 all around. This is what you got if you were going "bare bones" to get your car as cheap as possible.

This is the type of demountable wheel introduced in 1919. The rim is held on the steel felloe by bolts so you can easily change a flat by removing the rim and bolting on the spare rim and tire. These too are 30 x 3 all around.

Split rims are just what the name implies. They have a split in them like this so they can be collapsed to facilitate mounting new tires. This shows one type of locking device, but there are others. These rims take 21" balloon tires.

This is a clincher tire. Note the rounded bead on the inside edge.

This a clincher rim. The sides curve in to clinch that bead on the clincher tire. These are high pressure tires, taking about 60 psi to keep them clinched.

Here are some excerpts from the encyclopedia telling when the various types of wheels were used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

Mine from looking are the 21 inch demountables. Thanks for the info STEVE! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

Tim: Sent you a PM. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

I found away to load the pic of my wheel. I think from everyone's help my wheel is a 21 inch demountable. My other car has wires, this is still all new to me. Please let me know for sure and thanks for everyone's help. I couldn't keep my model T s running if it were not for everyone's help on this forum. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

Dan emailed you back. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Tim, you have 21 inch split rims.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

How can I tell and what makes them split? Just asking so I will know and be able to ask for the right thing as soon as I can find another. The wooden spoke broke the last time I drove it. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Tim

Look for that 'split' on the rim beside one of the lugs. The demountable rim is split to allow the rim to collapse to fit the balloon 21" tires. Those are low pressure tires, unlike the clincher rim style 30" tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

Tim, do you see that line towards the bottom right in your picture? That's the split. The split is always located to the side of the valve stem hole. If your spokes are damaged then you need to rebuild your wheel. Replacement is not necessary and you are more likely to end up with a good safe wheel because if you buy more old ones they may be loose too. If one wheel is bad the others are more than likely in similar condition. Check them all and make sure the spokes are tight and not rotten. The hub bolts should be tight and peened over so that the nuts don't back off. Spokes are available from Stutzman's wheel shop as well as from the vendors.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

There is a rust line visible in the picture where your rim is split.

More modern style rims like the wire wheels for ordinary wire beaded tires has a drop center where the tire bead can go down to make it possible to remove and replace the tire, but the split rim for 21" demountables haven't got any drop center, so the rim has to be collapsed to remove and replace the tire. If you have good tires that holds air you don't have to mess with that for the wood spoke repair, just loosen the four lug nuts and remove the rim from the wheel.

New 21" hickory spokes can be bought from the vendors, usually you'll change all the spokes in the wheel if one is bad: https://www.modeltford.com/item/2800HSB.aspx
Check so the 1/2" tenons fits in your steel felloe.

Here's plans on how to assemble the spokes in the wheel: http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/WheelpressA2.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Tim: I have not gotten it, looked in junk file not there either. Try again. Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

Dan I emailed you again. Thanks Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration