Wooden wheel question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wooden wheel question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

Got finished driving my old 26 rpu and noticed one of the wooden spokes was really badly rotted on my front right wheel. My other cats have all had wires. My new guy question is what do you call the 21 inch wheels. I hear you guys speak of split rims. This is a steel ring and it looks like the wooden spokes are held in place inside the ring. looks like the inner with the wood part bolts on the edges of the steel with threads sticking out and a nut holds it on. If you could show a pic of what is correct I could at least call about some rebuilt rims. Sorry for the description. I have always had wires on A models and my 27 T. Thanks in advance Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

I didn't have a picture to show the rim. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

The rim holds the tire it can be the 21 inch split style or demountable clincher or even just a clincher rim (doesn't come off the feloe). The feloe is the part the spokes go into that the rim attaches to, made of wood or metal. The hub is the part in the middle that mounts to the axle. The whole thing is a wheel. Most guys just call them 21 inch rims.
(sorry I can never spell felow right and spell check does not help)
Google mtfca; 21 rims
The 21 inch Chevrolet rims will work with modifications, the valve stem hole is in a different place. If you are looking to replace just the wheel, your rims are good, you would be looking for a Ford Model T wood 21 inch wheel.

(Message edited by redmodelt on October 31, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Tim, If one spoke is bad, there is a good chance the rest are not far behind on other wheels. There are several folks in the business of rebuilding wood spoke wheels. I would recommend having all four done as those wheels are what keep you in control of the vehicle. PM me if you would like me to check the car. I'm only a couple hours away from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, October 31, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Or, ... you could learn to drive it on 3 wheels (?).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 07:03 am:

21'' Ford demountable rims and wheels. Remember the spokes MUST be hickory. The outer rims and hubs usually must be trued up....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 07:12 am:

OOps didn't realize it was a double post and Steve had already posted pics. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 07:18 am:

Tim,

When you have time, there is a wealth of information in this thread that you may find helpful... (and has been previously stated, one bad spoke ....like the proverbial bad apple in the barrel...)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/306431.html?1345842354

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration