A few early transmission parts: a bit different.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A few early transmission parts: a bit different.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:11 am:

Recently I've been going through transmissions looking for usable drums. This one was assembled February 12, 1913. A few of the parts are a little different from the later versions.

The clutch spring support is a two-part affair, and has four big holes.

The brass magnet supports are straight, like pieces of thick tubing.

The magnet clamps have slightly curved edges, and concave ends. The north sides of the magnets are stamped N.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:23 am:

Steve,
Those brass posts and clamp plates are common in our early Canadian T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:31 am:

Ayuh, some interesting differences in the early transmissions.

The Clutch Spring Support Ring, PN 3343, was eliminated by (I think) 1915 and the Clutch Spring Support, PN 3341, was slightly modified and strengthened though keeping the same part number.

When you remove all of the clutch disks you should find the distance plate PN 3330.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 06:33 am:

That magnet and flywheel go with the round double stack coils. The extended keepers were an attempt to help eliminate some of the dead spots when operating on MAG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Remember to keep all the drums that have good usable gears on them. Don't throw them away! I bet you do this anyway. I have a questionable parts pile and digging through it a while back I found some broken drums with good gears. To each his own on this subject!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 10:34 am:

What year did the magnet clamps with curved ends stop? My 14 has those, but it has a single stack coil ring. It had a wide nose pan and high head when I got it but still had the aluminum hogshead. I can't remember what the clutch spring support looked like. One of those clamps was loose when I got it which I figure is why someone quit using it. No ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 10:52 am:

1915 has the same clamps, but the brass magnet supports are shaped much like the later aluminum ones. The magnets are no longer stamped with N for north.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration