Wayyyy OT but you might recall..

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wayyyy OT but you might recall..
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Some of you east coast old timers might remember John Zacherlie who hosted late night horror movies back in the late 50's & 60's. He passed away at age 98 on Oct. 27th. 2016 and was still making appearances up until last year. I'll bet the landlord of his rent controlled building is having a party. He lived in a 2 bedroom apartment on the west side of N.Y.C. for 50 years. The rent was something like $298 a month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

Charlie,
Hmm, can't say that I remember him, but I'm a west coast guy. RE: rent controlled building. What if a relative inherits the apartment and continues to live there (spouse or son/daughter? Does the rent stay the same?
I do remember the old horror movies series with the characters in silhouette who would make comments on the grade B movies Science 3000 or something like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

MST3K, or Mystery Science Theatre 3000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

Posted too quickly and forgot a graphic:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Dave I do believe there's a was to "Grandfather in" a relative. Don't really know if it's possible but if it is the rent would be the same. MST3K was much later as is a very funny show. Zach's thing was a little different. His outfit was all black and white with white greasepaint on his face. Back in those days movies were broadcast on TV by showing the movie on a screen and the TV camera would pick it up off the screen. Zach's screen has slits in it and he would enter the movie while it was showing with hilarious results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 11:42 am:

In Pittsburgh Pa it was "Chilly Billy Cardilly" who hosted "Chiller Theater" He would have guests on the show and show old horror flicks as well as do stupid skits. Every Saturday night at 11:30 pm after the news then the station sign off with the National Anthem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

In the '60's growing up in Memphis we had WREC TV "Fantastic Features" showing all the B rated scary films. The host was "Sivad" , backward spelling of his name, Davis!

Watched a bunch of these flicks then :-)

Sivad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

I liked the old sci-fi movies. There must have been a dozen of them that I liked to watch over and over and over----. No, more than a dozen, or two? Unfortunately, several I cannot remember the title of, and cannot find them anywhere. Occasionally, I will find a reference to one and know it was one of the ones I would still like to see again. Often Google will show that they are not currently available.
There were several local hosts , most were good. But the movies!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

When I was a freshman in High School we had a German foreign exchange student living with us, I called her "sis." Our family took her to Disneyland, and we stayed at my Uncles place in Anaheim (it was an old chicken/egg ranch and Orange orchard, but that's another story). Well, uncle Walter was worried about "crime" and had all the lights on timers so they would come on and off as if someone were walking around the house. Everyone else went to bed and Sis & I were on the couch watching late night horror films where they would flash lightning across the screen before each commercial break. So we are watching the evil creature sneaking up on the poor helpless people--the lightning crashes, all the lights in the room go off and the ones in the next room come on. We both "jumped out of our skin" and then realized what was going on and laughed our heads off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Dennis, not sure if you heard or not but Chilly Billy just recently passed away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 12:20 am:

As a kid growing up in the L.A. Basin during the 60's, one of our Saturday night creep fest hosts was Jeepers' Keeper on KCOP Channel 13. KCOP was owned by the Chris Craft boat company.

My dad would lay on the couch, smoking them damn Camels, and watch those old horror flicks every weekend. Just before a station break, the guy that played Jeepers (who just happened to also be the station manager) would babble some creepy lines and then the camera would go in for a close up just as the host would do his guttural laugh. Just then, the old man would sit up and look at me and let out a similar laugh sending me screaming in terror to my bed.

I also remember sitting on the couch, TV on, with the lights out, dad puffing away on the cigs, and seeing the smoky cloud hanging directly in front of the tube.

Ah, the good-cough-old-cough,cough-days. Cough, hack.
jeeper

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 05:01 am:

What about her?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 08:27 am:

She's still out there. The last time I saw her was on Counting Cars. She had Danny Koker do some work on her '59 T Bird convert
able.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 05:27 am:

Ah yes, Elvira! I remember her well. I also saw her on Counting Cars. She has aged VERY well! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:16 am:

Dan Treace, I remember being scared, big time, whenever Sivad would say, "I'm Sivad, Your Monster of Ceremonies!" Movies included "Rodan", "The Wasp Women", and many others that made me leave a light on when I went to bed Friday and Saturday Nights.

In '71, the Malco on Beale had a horror-fest of one movie after another. Sivad arrived in some kind of hearse and the crowd outside cheered him on.

After retiring, he moved, I believe, to either Lepanto, AR, or Stuttgart, AR.

I read in the Commercial Appeal a few years back that he had died.

Sivad was truly a Memphis treasure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Man there sure were a lot of these folks. Any one from the Chicago area remember Svengoolie? Is he still working?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:54 am:

Svengoolie is still on here on Saturday nights here in the Seattle/Tacoma area at 10:oo p.m.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 11:46 am:

Seatac!! Really? We were getting him a few years ago but Direct TV stopped carrying the retro station he appeared on (ME TV) and we lost a lot of 60's & 70's shows including Sven. He was on Sat. night at 10 just like you. I sure miss some of the grade b movies he showed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration