Drill the magnet bolts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Drill the magnet bolts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

These are from a 1923 magneto. As you see, they have no holes for safety wire like the earlier ones. Should they be drilled?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Clean all threads 100% and use red loc-tite.

Glues have evolved over the last 100 years and wiring most things just isn't needed anymore.

*check the temp ratings on the loc-tite and engine oil before taking my advice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

I have yet to glue them and yet to have them come apart. Knock on wood! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Think about all the countless man hours spent at Ford putting cotter pins in the oil pan bolts up through 1924 until finally they were sure it would work with just lock washers. And cost cutting had been practiced everywhere on the Model T design for 15 years by then..
Ford just didn't stop wiring until they were really sure it would stay tight without.

(Ok, I used loctite too.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

Clean up the threads, chase the threads in the flywheel and get them tight and they'll never come loose.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

Wiring doesn't keep them from coming loose, only from falling out. I never wire them and have had no problems. Like some one mentioned use lock tite if you are concerned. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

Ford discontinued the wired bolts and did not use loc-tite, you can do the same with no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 06:35 am:

The problem is if one of the magnet spacers cracks and falls out then the bolt is loose. With safety wire you have a good chance it won't cause disaster. Otherwise you don't have that chance. All mine have been safety wired.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration