1926 Coupe Lower Deck Lid

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1926 Coupe Lower Deck Lid
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Hey guys, I was hoping for some pics of how the lower deck lid hinges to the car. Does the deck lid go up and the lower lid open down or is the lower lid fixed?

Many thanks in advance,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

Just the deck lid opens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

And has a side bracket to lock it upright.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Oh, my bottom part is missing and I have just ordered a new one from MacsAuto. How does it attach?

rear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

It is bolted in underneath the T strip on either side, with a few small spot welds to the crossbar underneath the decklid. Looks like you might be missing some structure in the middle, it should have a brace for a spare rim holder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Any pictures that anyone has of what it should look like and possibly what i'm missing would be a huge help.

Thanks Everyone. you have been a great help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

Missing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

Shawn, I will post some photos tomorrow. I have taken my original panel off to be replaced when I find the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, November 01, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

Thanks Michael, much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 01:04 am:

Shawn, Too bad you have already ordered one from Mac's. I have a brand new reproduction still in the cardboard box (purchased from Lang's) that I'd have sold you for half price of a new one. The inner bracing that has been mentioned above isn't reproduced, but it isn't needed if you are not building a show car and don't want to mount the spare tire on the back as is shown on the red car, above. If you want the deck lid to latch as original, you will either need it, or you'll have to fabricate some bracing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 04:30 am:

Thanks Terry, I'm happy to fabricate another one but I just need some sort of idea of what I'm fabricating. It's a shame your from the US and I'm from Australia. I'm finding it super hard to get panels in aussie land. I still need the trunk floor but the shipping is ridiculous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 04:41 am:

This picture might help...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Shawn, I've shipped easily $1,000.00 US of parts this year to Australia and New Zealand. The inner bracing that you will need is like a straight piece of angle iron across the top, but it curves downward inside the panel ends to the bottom to meet the rear sill. Angle iron would be very difficult to make this bend with, requiring cherry red heat a press and a die. There is also a heavy gauge support in the middle that reinforces the outer panel in the middle and provides a support for the rear spare tire carrier. For years, My car was missing this reinforcement also and to keep from putting the original spare tire carrier back on, I used a sedan/touring rear spring mounted carrier that I lengthened about 6 inches. I'm not promising anything but unless I've scrapped it I may have pieces of an old reinforcement for patterns. I'll look for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

That would be great Terry. I'm not really worried about the spare wheel just want to mount the rear lower lid. Thanks for the pictures. They have really helped!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

This is the brackets/braces that you need. I made the cross brace, and the end braces, and rebuilt a center brace, that the bottom was rusted off, for a friend, for his '26 Coupe.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

That's exactly what I needed. So these parts are not available to purchase? Does anyone have something in Australia for sale?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 12:31 am:

Shawn, the triangular shaped pieces shown in Pat's middle picture are for holding solid rubber bumpers to cushion the lid. I think that they are being reproduced. If not, I may have a pair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Looks like you've got some good reference already, but here's a few more:
Text description

Text description

Text description

Text description

Text description

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Thats great. it explains why my panel has been pulled out a little. It's where the T piece goes into the fender. Now all I need to do is make a new one :-)

Thanks again everyone! I'll post some pictures once I make it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Henry - Werribee, Australia on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 08:34 am:

Shawn, I'm also building a coupe near Melbourne. I don't really have spare panels but might be able to loan you what's left of mine to copy it. Send me a PM and we can work something out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 07:19 am:

Shawn,
Yours is a coupe, and they are showing you how a roadster goes together, in your other thread. Keep using this thread, you started to ask your questions as how yours, should go together. Your getting confused by the differences.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration