Overtightened

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Overtightened
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

I removed the inspection plate from the oil pan on my '21 to look inside. Everything looks great inside. The engine has been rebuilt and has not been started yet. Pistons, camshaft, lifters, and timing gears are all new.
Sometime in the 95 year life of the car the bolts in the plate have been tightened so much that the plate was bent around the bolt holes. As thick as the plate is I can't understand why someone would ever tighten it that tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

Oh well, such is life. Pound the dimples so that they are flat again and proceed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

Because they're notorious for leaking, so "tighter is better" mentality takes over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

Well they leaked obviously they weren't tight enough! :-) They are out there if it leaks tighten it,if it breaks off it must have been a weak bolt. :-(

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration