Too much vinegar?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Too much vinegar?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

I am trying to make sure the block is cleaned out.
Would putting 3 gallons of vinegar be too much or should reduce it with a gallon or two of distilled water?

I will be running 50/50 after the block is good and clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

I've used straight vinegar, no dilution, with moderate success. The flushing tool found on the forum is also very useful, I was able to dislodge more gunk than just the soaking alone would do. Keep in mind if you don't properly flush the system, the rust and debris has nowhere to go and will only cause more problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Steve,

I think it would be too much. I don't think a Model T holds 3 gallons. Does it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

With 3 gallons of vinegar you will need to use 10 gallons of "Baking Soda". If you don't stop the acid in the vinegar you will have a BIG mess. Don't ask how I know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

Baking soda and water mix?
One box to a gallon?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

As I recall I used 2 gallons. Costco sells 2 gallons for a few dollars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

My '14 held about 2 gallons when I did it a couple years ago. I think a black radiator car might hold close to three. I used straight vinegar and then flushed it with water. No issues.

One interesting thing, I left the vinegar sit in my rusty metal drain pan for about a month before dumping it. The formerly rusty drain pan is shiny clean now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 07:29 am:

Straight Vinegar has about a 5% acidity which is great for removing scale build up. Just rinse it real good when you are done flushing. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Why not "CLR"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Tim I can but 6 gallons of vinegar for the same price as 1 bottle of CLR and IMHO it works better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

This subject has as much controversy as what oil to use.

For cleaning a block I always use phosphoric acid, the active ingredient in CLR. Vinegar (citric acid) will do a good job in removing lime scale but not much rust scale. The phosphoric acid will dissolve Iron oxide and leave a phosphate coating on the clean iron. It neutralizes well with clear water to a neutral pH.

The shop my son works for uses this process regularly to solve cooling problems in older cars and trucks that have been run with our local well water, (rich in lime and Iron eating bacteria). Once cleaned and flushed, the cooling system is filled with the correct mix of coolant, and buffered to the correct pH.

Not saying this is the best solution for everyone, but it works well for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

I quit buying CLR about 20 years ago when they changed the formula for the Fed's anti-phosphate regulations. It never worked as good as the original even for its intended purpose. Plain ole paint prep from Home Depot works better and less aggressive on brass than vinegar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

I don't use anything. Never worried about it. Never had a problem. Is it possible we're overthinking this?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration