Front Spring Straps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Front Spring Straps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 08:45 am:

Building my speedster (almost done) - looking to find or make period correct straps to connect from front spring to axle as seen on many racers in old photos. Any ideas? for those of you who have them, photos? Speedster Photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 09:28 am:

Sole Survivor makes custom belts and leather products. Costly but good stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 09:42 am:

I just bought four fat belts at Walmart and trimmed them down. :-)

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 09:51 am:

David,

Go to an Amish harness shop here in Ohio and they will make what ever you want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 09:51 am:

that's fantastic! how creative and resourceful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 09:53 am:

that's a great idea Dennis. I want to try to get something that's true leather and a little less refined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Why the hobbles ? What's it for - other than looks ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 09:59 am:

What was the purpose of these belts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:02 am:

As far as i can tell from my brief research, it was used to keep the car together, albeit temporarily if a spring were to pop apart while driving at break-neck speeds. I'm not planning on doing anything like that, but i'm trying to make it look cool :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:29 am:

They are rebound straps. They reduce the rebound of the springs after they have been compressed, it reduces the "ejection seat" effect after passing over a big bump. :-)

They weren't just for early cars, early Triumphs and Corvettes came with them in the 1960's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Many of those re-bound check straps were fitted with either flat or coil springs to provide some give to the straps.

Found a set like this for my speedster built years ago. Can't really see the springs up on the frame, but they are there to allow the leather straps some give.

Some other styles of re-bound or check straps for early cars, simple form of shock absorbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:44 am:

FANTASTIC INFO! thank you everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:50 am:

They came as standard equipment on my 1908 Autocar. There are brackets on a rear cross member that the rebound straps go through and then they run down to the rear axle. I never thought they did much until they broke while the car was being trailered over some very bad New York State roads. The double shock of the trailer springs and the car springs was too much for the 100 year old leather. After that the car bounced like a pogo stick every time I hit a bump until they were replaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

Thanks for the period ads and interesting info !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

A whole lot of guys have found a coil over shock will not take trailering a car just like Val Soupios found with the straps, the idea makes sense for driving.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration