Old Photo - Model T Era - Shelby Montana Street Scene

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Shelby Montana Street Scene
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:56 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

The building was designed by an architect who just finished eating a box of soda crackers and set it on his desk and had that Aha! moment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

Very typical of 1900 -20 wood buildings used for hotels. A grandfather of mine ran a hotel in Clara City MN from about 1908-1920. The building was very similar to the one in the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Brings these lyrics to mind. :-)

Little boxes on the hillside
Little boxes made of ticky tacky
Little boxes on the hillside
Little boxes all the same

There’s a pink one and a green one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they’re all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same

And the people in the houses
All went to the university
Where they were put in boxes
And they came out all the same

And there’s doctors and lawyers
And business executives

And they all play on the golf course
And drink their martinis dry
And they all have pretty children
And the children go to school

And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university
Where they are put in boxes
And they come out all the same

And the boys go into business
And marry and raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky

There’s a pink one and a green one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they all look just the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

Here is a picture of my Grandfather August Leipold's hotel In Clara City MN in 1915. The auto is a new 1915 Hudson. The license number seems to 20719. Erik, see if it is listed in Bob's book. My grandfather is standing in the hotel door way. The younger boy with him is my father, Ed Leipold. The taller boy is my uncle George, who became a veteran of both WWI and WWII. My grandmother is on the far right. This hotel is much the same as the one in this posting (the first photo) except it has a upper deck where the "drummers" or traveling salesman could come out for a "smoke." My grandmother did not like them to smoke in the hotel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

here is the photo on the Clara City Hotel.

Clara City

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

Jay, I remember the Smother's Brothers singing that song back in the 60's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 07:42 am:

Stayed in Shelby about a week back in 63' looking for work at local cattle/horse ranches. Myself and 3 brothers were "Cowboy's from Wisconsin" living a dream. Really a neat town back then, very friendly people. We ended up working some ranches near Galata just outside Shelby. I worked on the smallest ranch, 9,000 acres, roping, branding just like the ol' West. Loved it but the pay SUCKED, $200.00 a month with room & board, had the best boss in my lifetime (Hank Halverson). GOOD MEMORIES......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 09:18 am:

The car above is a Hudson?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Yes it is a 1915 Hudson. Hudsons were a big car. Here is a similar 1914 Hudson.

Hudson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

The Little Boxes song was about the post-war sprawling suburbs architecture
and (more accurately) the conformity culture that bloomed in the 50's, NOT about
old and cool like those old hotels and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

Little boxes was, I think, inspired by what Burger mentions in San Francisco:

Actually, I think this photo was taken in Daley City, but you get the idea.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration