Old Photo - Model T Era - West Side Main Street, Plentywood, Montana

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - West Side Main Street, Plentywood, Montana
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 11:46 am:

I see neither plenty of wood 'round those parts, nor does the view look too grand from
the hotel.

Hmmm ....

I do like the look of the railroad tracks with all the grass growing up between the ties. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

I see that Dean Moon is already advertising speed parts too. ;)

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

No StreetView at that end of main St, but it looks like this is what became of the Grand View Hotel. The odd window spacing on the second floor is the same so I think it's the same building.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

Burger,

The town got it's name after two Indians stood at the end of the street and one said to the other "Plenty wood here before white man came and cut it all down to build stupid buildings!" and the other said "Yes and the grand view of the great plains is blocked by that hotel"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Dennis,

I am so glad there is a historian here. Because I was totally confused....LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

Chris,

Not so sure about that, in the original photo there's no TV antenna on the roof. ;O)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

In Google satellite view the second building on the right still exists as well. Also the railroad track in the foreground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

Local folklore suggests that the name of the nearby Plentywood Creek, after which the city was named, comes from a search for firewood. One day, according to the story, a group of cowboys watched in exasperation as the chuck wagon cook attempted to start a fire with damp buffalo chips. Finally, in frustration, Dutch Henry said, "If you’ll go 2 miles up this creek, you’ll find plenty wood."

Plentywood is the biggest town in the northeast corner of Montana (which for you people that live in the dinky little states back east) is over 750 miles from the southwest corner of the state. It is a farming/oil/ranch/government town, the county seat of Danials County. About 1500 people at last count.

It is served by the Burlington Northern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

I've played music in the Golden Dollar more than once and also at the State Line club east of town. Back in the 60's when North Dakota was still dry on Sunday they would have a huge crowd on Sunday afternoon of the Dakota people coming over drinking and dancing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Aw Gee Stan I thought I came up with a good yarn and didn't even need to use buffalo chips in my tale because it's easy to tell I'm already full of them!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration