Parts to Australia

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Parts to Australia
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 11:44 am:

I know that this is the Forum and not the Classifieds, but within the last few days, in answering a couple of posts, I mentioned that I had sold over $1,000 worth of parts to Australians and New Zealanders. Today, I got an email sent through the Forum asking "How much for your parts, including shipping to Australia"? I didn't even bother to check the sender's profile on the Forum. This email is too generic for me. If he wanted to buy everything that I have, he better get ready to pay the shipping on two long containers, unless he just wants them thrown together in one container with no special handling. What do you Forum members think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

Sounds to me like someone is trolling the forum.
If they were into Model T's you think they would have ask what type of parts and would have provided more personal information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

Dennis, I've got egg on my face. I finally broke down and checked the profile of the sender of the email. He is a legitimate Forum poster, although somewhat of a newbee which may explain his vagueness. Most of us old timers know that you can't let down your guard and if something doesn't sound right, be cautious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Well I'm glad everything is OK Perhaps they will buy several million dollars worth of parts so we both can retire. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

Terry,

Shipping cost for anything depends on the method of transport.

Some folks think with their wallet - not their head.

That should be left to the Buyer to research.

If he has a pick up zip code from you and a shipping dimension (length x width x height) plus weight for what specifically he wants to buy - he can take it from there.

Freighter Jim

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

If there are other New Zealanders and Australians on the forum maybe you can find out if he belongs to a T club if there is one out there. If he's a stand up guy then you should get a good report from some of the other T guys in the area.

Then again he may have a lot of money to spend and he hadn't thought of the details when buying parts from across the water.

These days it pays to do some checking before any money transaction takes place. Especially when its on the other side of the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

I have bought a lot of new parts from the US, the major problem as I see it is that vendors do not go to any effort at all to keep freight prices manageable, for example I have imported a huge amount of both air & butchers paper racking when the item if packed responsibly would have been a much more compact parcel. Vendors do not seem to want to use USPS flat rate boxes that I have used when in the USA & are much more reasonable. I will be in the states in December & I am checking out a smaller vendor who just might like my business sufficiently to pay some attention to the cost of forwarding goods overseas. I wish to spend my US dollars that at the moment are very expensive, one Aussie dollar buying just over seventy cents US on parts not postage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

I share your frustration with ridiculous packing, Doug. I ordered a set of triple gear pins. They came wrapped in newsprint, packed in yards of butchers' paper, all enclosed in a carton 12" square and 6"! The problem was, they were miss-picked in the warehouse, and I was shipped a steering column bracket.

I sent it back in a padded bag which had already made one trip across the Pacific, and asked that the correct parts be shipped back in the same manner.

They came back in the same size box as before!!!
The vendor wore the cost, but that's not the point. When I protested about these costs, and pointed out that a jiffy bag would be quite ample for the shipment their response was that the triple gear pins may get damaged!!!!

I appreciate the vendors I use providing fast order filling, and their focus on good customer service. But there is heaps of room for improved shipping charges. One quote I had for shipping a radiator was US$504. Bergs would do the same for $300.

Go figure.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

I buy a lot of stuff from the U.S. off ebay and the postage charges to Australia can be quite variable. For example, the same size/weight item might cost $35 from one source, or closer to $100 from another. Ebay's Global Shipping Program charges seem to be cheaper if the seller posts that way, but I did have a bad experience with it first time I used it, which has made me wary of buying anything expensive or valuable that way.
As far as Model T parts go, I've used an air & butcher's paper in big boxes supplier too. I tried another supplier recently who seemed more thoughtful with packaging and the postage seemed faster and cheaper.
Either way, it's usually cheaper than buying locally, if I can get it here at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

International Buyers,

No offense folks but it is up to you to specify how your purchase is packed - shipped - insured.

You need to educate yourselves as to what carriers can be trusted with commercial drop shipping - that includes the packaging requirements of that carrier and the insurance coverage offered.

Again - most folks think with their wallet - they equate all method and means of shipping as equal - they are not.

Whatever country you are in - the best source of a specific shipping method or carrier comes from your neighbor.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Kevin Bailey. cheetahimports.com.au Excellent service.For cars and heavy valuable items of all types.Not the cheapest,though,so this will eliminate most U.S. T enthusiasts.One container I loaded some parts I was shipping down under was full of old Indy cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale wcisel on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

I just sent a pair of cast-iron Warfords to Australia from Michigan via Cheetah Imports.
It was far cheaper for the antipodean buyer than me sending them directly to him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Jim (and others), the parts that I shipped to New Zealand were a pair of original 26-27 coupe, roadster, pickup rear fenders and a 26-27 coupe decklid. The box was on the large side and pretty heavy, as you can imagine. I offered the buyer some suggestions and prices on shipping to Compton, CA, where his freight forwarder, KIWI Freight Forwarding, took it to New Zealand. Cost by FedEx Ground to Compton, as I remember was $90-$100. Total freight to New Zealand as I remember was between $750-$1000. At least twice as much as he paid me for the parts. The parts arrived in NZ to him, a lot quicker than I could have ever imagined and in the same condition as they left me. He was overjoyed and very appreciative. Just one more reason why I am glad to be an American and don't have to pay overseas freight.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration