Oil lamp use

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Oil lamp use
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

WARNING WARNING ...Possible dumb question -
When using oil lamps, as in cowl and tail lamps on our Ts, how do you put them out when the time comes? I have heard old-timers talk about using oil lamps in the house and there seems to be two ways to do it. Some say turn the wick down and others say to only blow the flame out. Blowing the tail lamps on our cars out would be difficult. What is correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

If you can bend down to light it you can bend down to blow it out! :-) I turn the wick down and blow out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

I turn them down to put them out and here is why... If the wicks are lowered to a point where they no longer burn, that also very significantly slows down evaporation. If you use paraffin lamp oil, it doesn't evaporate (much) and won't be a problem, but if you use kerosene, mineral spirits, naphtha, etc. your lamps can evaporate dry in a couple weeks if the wick is left up(depending upon the weather).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 08:23 am:

I suggest you buy an old indoor lamp and practice.2016-11

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Green - So Cal on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

I just blow them out; then the wick is perfectly set for next time. I do use paraffin oil.

And I do light them often; most every early AM cars & coffee I attend.

And I do love those well intended reminders about leaving my lights on....I tell them it's OK, they'll burn for about 8 hours! :-)

I like to call them my "hand warmers".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

I've always blown out my lamps and lanterns for the reason Mike mentioned. If you turn down the wick you have to readjust it the next time you light it. You not only have to readjust it, but often you have to trim the wick again to get an even flame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

I'm with Steve and Mike; blow them out.

Mike G mentioned burn time above and I had wondered myself because I use them on the '14. Last weekend I decided to see how long the square Model T oil lamps would burn. I set up a John Brown 110 on my Old Smokey test bench with a fresh Walmart 1/2" wick and a font of 1-K kerosene.

I left it lit for 20 hours and still have 1/2" of kerosene in the font. I had the wick at about a medium flame height so you could expect the lamp to burn for 18 to 24 hours depending on how you set it.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

I could not remember the reason the oldtimers told me not to put a lamp out by turning it down.Now most of the oldtimers I knew are gone and I am one. Mr Jelf, I believe they said what you did... having to readjust at next lighting and trimming the wick more often. No need to waste money replacing wicks more often than necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

If you leave the wick up it's going to smoke more and while it's smoking it will continue to "glow" which means it burning up the wick. When you turn it down you are smothering any burning. I have yet to see any old time western filmed back in the day that they didn't turn up the wick to light. So I say hog wash leaving the wick up! :-) LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

It is just a s,mall "Blow Job", opps.!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

A little turn down and a big blow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

Jerry, Looks like you have room for some more lamps there. Good thing your not out here on the Left Coast with earth quakes every month...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

Jerry, Looks like you have room for some more lamps there. Good thing your not out here on the Left Coast with earth quakes every month...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

I blow out my flat wick lamps but, I turn my Aladdin lamp down first to reduce the possibility of getting burned and to make it easier to blow the flame out. Those Aladdins burn extremely hot.

Stephen

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration