SIX HUB BOLTS- DRILLING SPOKES?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: SIX HUB BOLTS- DRILLING SPOKES?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny S. on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

after i press the spokes home into the hub and fellow,
what is the best method to drill the spokes? press
or hand drill???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

I used a hand drill with a drill guide that I made from a block of hard Maple. I drilled multiple guide holes in the block using my drill press, then used the block to guide the hand drill - worked great!

A more elaborate drill guide has been shown before on the forum, see attached pic:

jig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Danny, Just asking, but did you makes sure the holes go "between" a spoke and not thru the "center" of a spoke. The holes are supposed to be "between" the spokes. have fun and be safe ... Donnie Brown...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny S. on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 11:59 am:

i have not begun to do wheels yet. getting ready
and about to build my press.

could someone please post a pic of
the drilling jig posted here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

I didn't build or use the drilling jig shown in the drawing, I just drilled some holes (using my drill press with the table carefully aligned to be perpendicular to the bit) in some scrap maple I had lying around. I drilled four holes just in case the act of drilling spokes wallowed them out over time, but that didn't seem to be a problem with the hard maple.

I received a request to post a picture of my scrap wood jig, so here it is. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 04:07 am:

Touched upon above, but just to push the issue a bit. It is important for the holes to be very nearly centered between spokes. That is accomplished by careful centering of the hub (and its bolt holes) onto the spokes as you assemble it. Often, the hub will try to walk its way around just slightly off center with the spoke divide. Usually, a heavy punch and hammer can drift the hub back enough. Sometimes, I have had to take a wheel apart and start over to again get the spokes centered (that will be especially true with new spokes if they are properly tight).

I have seen earlier wheels that were mis-drilled with the bolt holes entirely in one spoke (I still have a few spokes like that, a couple in restored wheels). Front wheels could often survive that mistake. Without either engine power or brakes, the rotational torque is actually quite small on a front wheel. Rear wheels mis-drilled that way usually collapsed eventually. With the bolts entirely in one spoke, the torque strength is one directional. The wheel is roughly as strong in one direction as a properly drilled and bolted wheel (nothing much is gained). The strength in the other direction is a fraction of the strength of a properly drilled and bolted wheel. From its first day being driven, that defective wheel gets weaker with every mile as the wood works back and forth, wearing the ends and all joints.
I love wood wheels. Properly built and cared for, they are stronger than most people would think. But they do have to be tight to stay strong, and assembled correctly to stay tight.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration