Warford drive shaft question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Warford drive shaft question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Cast iron Warford WITH the flex joint between it and rear of T transmission. Not the aluminum new or old that did/does not use the joint.

While yes you can get the work done or some can do it them self if you have a drive shaft with at least a good pinion end to start with, does anyone make just the driveshaft?

Has anyone thought about making them for sale? I am asking about the "driveshaft" not the tube or radius rods. I would think there would be a market for them at or just under what the new "GOOD" T ones are sold for.

What about cutting a section out and welding the two sections back together?(once again the drive shaft not the tube or radius rods)

What is the correct length of the above driveshaft? More importantly, what is the correct length from the end of the taper to center of the U-joint pin hole?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

PM sent. I had this exact same set up in a speedster donor project car that I pulled and replaced with convention drivetrain. I have the shortened tube and shaft and can take measurements or photos or whatever you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Cast iron Warford shaft is 15.750" shorter than stock. Don't cut and weld a shaft. Best way is to cut the front off and machine new surfaces on it. Any machine shop can do it. We have done dozens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

Mark

Birdhaven/Texas T Parts sells a shorten length driveshaft for the KC Warford, so that should be OK for your original Warford.

I got one and it was just fine, the hole for the Ujoint pin isn't there but easy to drill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

The Birdhaven driveshaft is for the shorter Warford not the cast iron one. To install the cast iron one correctly without redoing the input shaft, the drive shaft would need to be in the ball park of 3 inches shorter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

I ran into some issues with a warford install that Texas T Parts botched.

Hopefully there is some information in here that will help you guys.

http://www.tfoye.com/MTE/warford.htm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration