Combination ignition & light switch repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Combination ignition & light switch repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 12:00 am:

I am having a problem with the combination ignition & light switch on a 1924 Tudor. The original switch has the usual problem of the back of the switch de-laminating and the screws frozen and the turning in the back. In addition the two forks from the key way (pot metal) have broken,
My first thought was to buy a new switch but all the vendors I have contacted have no stock as the prime switch vendor is having manufacturing problems.
I suppose I could make a new key to switch actuator mechanism but I still have the problem with the backing plate. Additionally making one-off stuff like this can be quite expensive,
Does anyone know a vendor who can fix these switches or where new parts might be available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 06:53 am:

Tony, You should be able to find a good used one. They are fairly common at larger flea markets. Try a want ad in the classified section.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Try Ben Martin in Georgia. He did a great job for me and the price was quite reasonable (less than the repros), 770-938-3376.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 09:12 am:

I have seen many on ebay all the time. Stay with an original. They are easy to find, and easy to fix. I like the pin back ones the best, because you can repair them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Tony, if you decide to buy a used one, I have several.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

I agree that Ben Martin does really good work and the charges are reasonable.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

I called Ben Martin this evening, seems like we met at Chickasha. He thinks he can fix my switch, I'll mail it to him and take it from there.
Thanks again MTFCA Forum.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration