Off to the races

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Off to the races
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 01:39 am:

So the Wild Cherry race team is off this weekend to slay the model A racers. After a major cash infusion to solve the traction and gearing issues, we have been working with a crack chassis dyno tuner to work on the carburetion issues. Looking pretty good. HP numbers up into triple digits and tuner says a correctly executed launch puts a few inches of daylight under the left front wheel. Tuner is working on the torque curve flattening out at 4500 RPM, we normally push it to 5500 to upshift. The Murrieta track is one tenth mile on a grade, not sure of the percentage, probably about five. Most exciting eight seconds I've ever had, at least in a car. Frightening, in fact. Can't wait for Sunday, wish us luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 03:09 am:

Luck!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

Erik,

Good luck! And remember to be nice to the Model A drivers. They are part of the Ford family also. And they are potential Model T drivers.

For those that may not have seen some of the earlier postings below is a photo from the post at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/658275.html?1468152228 Thank you Bob Middleton

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

Anxiously awaiting video(s)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

Hap has the right idea, rub their nose in model T, They'll get it. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 01:49 am:

I'm finally making some good progress on my car. I picked up my crank last week from the machine shop that made it, and now it's being ground and balanced. The aluminum 5 main block is almost finished, just some final details. Today I finished tearing down a A rear axle to fit to a A Halibrand. Shortening the A drive shaft 18". I have a selection of wheels being powder coated (16",17",18"). 33-4 front axle so it should handle and stop too. I suppose it adds some weight but I have a variety of uses planned.
Anyway all the best of luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Update on the WILD CHERY 2. No race don't know how to say this we started off on Wednesday with tuner ,we learning how a holly 500 back pull affects fuel Dumpage as I would say to dropping off the storm bergs just to turn around to fix a oil pressure problem. Almost out of the. Tuners place Friday with the strongbberg carbs on at 5 pm only to hear him say I i need you to come get me around the corner from the shop in his voice I could hear his concern he thought he had broke the bolts off the converter I arrive at the car in front of a grave yard frontage road. (Yes freaky) people are running around the grave yard putting flowers on graves as others are on the fence looking at the wild cherry 2 amused As I hit the starter button boy it didnt sound good and it then locked up solid we quickly pulled out the rope and toed it back to the tuners shop and I tore the starter off .to only see none of the torque converter bolts looked to be missing. But as the starter is now off I see a dimple in the pan. Yes and now we now ,maybe 125 thousands over bore had taken its toul or ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

I failed to mention the tuner says. 1st gear lifts the front wheel off the ground which I ve seen him do numerous times testing and they did run video of this. But he also said the wheel lifted from 1st to second Shift As he heard a bang. He then shut it down great guy to deal with (the tuner) I suspect he will be going to Nebraska with us This is a guy who tunes cars that put 1500 foot pounds to the rear wheels Of muscle cars. but enjoys making cars like the wild cherry 2 run

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

So we are not racing Sunday in SoCal. We were having trouble getting traction and got that fixed. Then we needed more power. Did a few tweaks and got so much more the engine couldn't handle it. So now with the traction and tuning issues dealt with I will have to beef up the engine to deal with the abuse. I would love to use one of Les' hot dog five main blocks but FAST rules state you have to have a Ford block. I am thinking of an aluminum girdle providing the other two main bearings on the T block and a Schubert style five main crank. All this is speculative, until we pull apart the engine. We have run this engine on three babbited main bearings with no issues at all. I think the failure may have to do with the extreme overbore of the block to 3.875". This thing is a like a grenade with the pin pulled. Short life span but very exciting. We'll be back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

Also should mention the car looks much different than the photo posted above. When that pic was taken we were running a Ford pinto rear end with an open differential and 3.7 gears. It would roast the right rear tire forty feet down the track. We made our best times with a passenger for traction. Now we have a quick change rear with tuned four link suspension and a spool. The rear wheels are larger and wider so the car looks more like the dragster that it is. We will post videos as we get them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration