Information wanted on identifying a Ruckstell axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Information wanted on identifying a Ruckstell axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By james werner on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Hi, been lurking on this forum for a while but finally signed up. I am buying an old Doodlebug with a Ruckstell rear. The rear seems to be very heavy like a truck but it is now coupled to an early Dodge 4cyl engine and transmission. I will add a photo showing what looks like a heavy truck wheel? Note the ten lugs on the wheel but it also has a disc on the axle with six bolts showing? Were Ruckstells made for all sizes of vehicles?
Is there any way to tell what this axle originally fit?
Is there a listing of serial numbers somewhere that may give additional info?
Thanks for any info you can offer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

Looks interesting. Like some Doodle-bug/tractor depression and war era scrounge runners, it is a mix of a lot of parts. I can't tell from the photos much about it. Over-all construction, other parts used, and what its purpose may have been?
The rear wheel is typical of the early '30s truck wheels, although they were around somewhat earlier (they were rare much before 1930, and continued with minor changes till about the '60s).
The rear end appears to be a model TT (ton truck) and being a Ruckstell, would probably been model TT specific.
There are several regulars on this site that collect and restore doodle bugs. More and better pictures would be very interesting, and get you more and better responses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

From what I can see in the photo, or can't as this case is, I don't see any sign that this has nothing more then a TT rear end installed. (Truck)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

I agree with Mark. It looks like a regular TT rear end to me too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 03:49 am:

Look where the Ball Hitch is mounted. Good idea or not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 10:36 am:

James;
If you google "mtfca; TT Warford" you should get some photos of the TT Warford. The TT stands for "ton truck". Someone did a nice job on the adapters for the wheels. There are a couple of people here that know a little about Dodge engines. People like to see home built tractors so post more photos when you get a chance. Another great place to post is;
https://www.smokstak.com/
I saw that ball hitch and was wondering about it too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration