Mystery #1

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Mystery #1
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 11:32 am:

All this probably sounds a bit silly, you'd think the answer was obvious. Here' s the story. At age 38, my Grandpa bought his first automobile in 1929, a used Model T Ford roadster pickup. Here's the rub. When I was a kid with my first Model T, my Dad mentioned how familiar that seemed to him, those three little diamond-shaped pedals, and the sounds of the coil-box buzzing in the cock-pit . . . reminiscing, my Grandpa told me it was sold to him as a 1927 model. Since the coilbox position and pedal shapes were obvious pre-'26 earmarks, I always assumed the car dealer pulled a fast one. That is, until a couple of discussions on this forum brought up many differences and seeming incongruities with "commercial vehicles" - is it possible the salesman was on the level, and the pickup was actually and honestly a later model than '25 ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 11:36 am:

No, even the TT had the big brake and clutch pedals in '26 and '27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 03:35 am:

It is possible, even then, that the engine had been changed to an earlier engine. In '26 and '27, even most of the TT trucks had the coil box on the engine. It may still have been heard by someone with sharp ears, or not. The TT had fenders like earlier passenger cars. Generally, the '26/'27 TT looked like a '24/'25 TT.
The cars, however changed almost everything. Standard roadster pickups had a chassis just like the other cars, with the same fenders, running boards, transmission pedals, and coil box on the motor, as all the other cars of '26 and '27.
It would be wonderful if you had some original photos of your grandfather's T. I would be curious to see exactly what it was.
Like I have said before about the model T Ford. It is the ultimate icon of mass production. Fifteen million of them, all alike. No two exactly alike.
Okay, that is not quite true, but almost.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration