Rootlieb Speedster Kit. A few Questions.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rootlieb Speedster Kit. A few Questions.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

Hi,
Somewhere on the Pacific waves and headed this way, is a shipping container with 5 crates of Brass era, flat top fendered, Rootlieb Speedster kit inside. Being fairly excited about its pending arrival, I've been doing some thinking and I have a few questions for anyone who has gone down the path of building one of these kits before.
1) The kit contains a Torpedo hood. Does this mean that the firewall will be mounted further back on the frame than a stock T?
2) If this is true, then does the steering column need to be modified?
3) With the short running boards, do both the front and rear truss rods and support brackets need to be relocated? or just the rear?
My thanks in anticipation of your answers.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

1. Yes
2. Yes, and the steering lower mount bracket too.
3. No idea, I suspect just the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Thanks for your answer Royce.
Regarding the steering column....is it just a case of moving it, and the lower bracket, back the 2 inches?
If so, are there any mods needed for the tie rod between the Pitman arm and the drag link?......or can it SAFELY handle the added degrees of angle?
Thanks again,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

Rob,
1) Yes,the firewall is designed to use modified 1909-1916 type firewall brackets, use repos. Rear bracket mounting is cut off and the rear frame hole is used to mount the front bracket mount. You have to drill the holes for the bracket with later frames, there should be instructions included.
2) Yes, use steering gear dropping wedge and bracket from parts suppliers.
3) Just the rear bracket needs to be moved forward, there should be instructions included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 05:34 pm:

The answer to steering mods depends on how and if the car is lowered and steering clearances after car is assembled with engine. This is something you will have to work out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

"Thanks" Kevin.
That's very helpful information. I guess I need to be patient, wait for it to arrive and take it all from there.
BUT I just couldn't help wondering.
Thanks for setting me straight.
Cheers,
Rob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration