"little sliver of teflon tape"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: "little sliver of teflon tape"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

Yesterday, while reading the "Holly" thread, Jim Eviston wrote about "a little sliver of teflon tape causing the needle valve not to close".

Well, this morning I walked into my shop and smelled gas. After checking the cars over I found that my '26 coupe was dripping gas onto the floor. Assuming that the needle and seat need replacement, I crawled under the car and removed the bowl.

First, I did not know that the carb has a ball type valve. Next, look what was causing the steady drip.

The carb now has a new needle and seat valve installed.

Take Jim's advice and stay away from the Teflon tape at the carburetor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

Installed incorrectly this happens. The tape should be on the threads only and staying clear or back from the fittings opening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

You need to leave about 1-1/2 to 2 threads fee of tape, be it Model T, dishwasher, plumbing or hydraulic system or whatever. If you run the tape all the way to the end you are likely to get a sliver of tape where you don't want it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 12:28 am:

John,glad you caught it in time.
Sometimes,on an original gas tank and fuel bulb will have corrosion and won't want to seal.For that I prefer the old Permatex black goop. Teflon tape is a relatively recent inovation that 108+year old technology does not require

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 01:22 am:

Also if you want to use the tape get the stuff made for this use, I think it's the yellow. The white is not for use here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 07:36 am:

Looks like that ball check worked a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 07:37 am:

It is far better to use aviation fuel lube. I got a (lifetime supply) tube of it years ago from Aircraft Spruce, and now Lang's sells it as well. I use it on every connection except where the felts are, from the tank to the carb. And on the sediment bulb valve and the shutoff valve on the carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 08:54 am:

Locktite 567 is great also. Just a thin film, and as with all thread sealers..leave the first two threads clean and clear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 09:04 am:

Something that works fine on pipe thread is also very reasonably priced. I use nothing on them unless there is a leak. Usually nothing is all you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 10:27 am:

Actually the yellow teflon tape is code for natural gas connections in many areas. Never heard it was for gasoline, but. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

Am I missing something? I thought the small o-ring that's made of some type of fiber was supposed to be used on the bottom of the seat when its screwed in to the carb body. The only place I've ever used the Teflon tape was on the brass elbow that's screwed into the inlet side of the carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:55 am:

The piece that you see stuck in the float valve broke off at the fuel inlet elbow, flowed down to the valve causing it to stick open.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration