How to remove aluminum trim

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How to remove aluminum trim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Trumpy on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

I am restoring a 26 Fordor and am at the point of needing to remove the aluminum trim around the rear of the body. Is there some trick to this. I don't want to damage the trim but the nails heads seem to be cast into the aluminum. The nails have rusted and are very difficult to get out especially around the curved surface. Once the trim is off and the body metal is refinished how do you reinstall the trim around the curved surface?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

I have done a couple of fordors and the nails have plugs on top of them that are hammered in then sanded off. They do push out but can not be used again, found some aluminum welding rod about same size peened it over and sanded it off, worked for me, after trying bondo, JB weld both of them did not work with out showing later in the paint job. Hope this helps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Trumpy on Friday, November 04, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

Thanks Joe, I have one straight piece off and will look for the plugs in the AM. Don

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration