Weston-Mott factory-noon hour 1909-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Weston-Mott factory-noon hour 1909-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 07:25 am:

These might be the guys that made your 1909 front axle.
Did they go home for lunch?
There wasn't a McDonalds down the street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Some of them guys look like they're going for a nooner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

Thanks for posting this picture Herb. It is nice to see where my Buick axles were made.

The differential was quite different than a ring and pinion setup. There was a drum on each side of the sprocket with internal teeth cut into it. Three posts on each side of the sprocket held gears that meshed with the drum gears giving the differentiating action. Thank goodness a clever machinist could make me new drums. Early versions used brake bands on these inner drums. Later the brakes were moved to drums on the wheels. I assume differential grease gave the brake a problem.
OT but some may find it amusing.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

Richard, is that wear on the teeth we are seeing, or were they cut that way? Fascinating stuff--If I ever get up your way, I'll have to allow at least a day to look around!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

David, the drum shown is my worn out one. I wish I had taken pictures of the new ones before I put it all together. They sure were pretty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 08:10 am:

Rich, It's hard to imagine for me how the differential worked with the differential gears in that orientation? Do you have photos of any more parts of the assembly?
Are there center (sun) gears in the planetaries too, and how are they connected?
(always trying to understand the wonders of antique machinery :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Roger, I didn't take pictures or remember the details of the differential. This sketch shows what I recall but am not sure if the 6 gear pins were directly attached to the sprocket or if there were other pieces involved. I suppose a sun gear would be needed to make it work. Too many T' have fogged my mind since.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration