Need to borrow your eyes again. Correct running board installation.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need to borrow your eyes again. Correct running board installation.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 09:20 am:

I can't tell from images and photos or find a detailed description of what I'm trying to accomplish, so here I come.
Got a set of running boards that are the raised dimple, diamond plate type with the Ford logo on them. I trial fitted them, but before final installation today, wanted to ame sure. The Ford logo goes with the top of the script F towards the front of the car? and the fender holes are spaced slightly differently from the ends of the running board. Does the pair that are closest to the end of the running boards go for the rear fenders and the pair that are furthest away from the edge are for the front fender lips?

That's how I trial fitted them and it made sense at the time. I've got all the correct boards and spacers and bolts and have read to finger tighten all the bolts including the fenders and fender irons until everything lines up and then go around and tighten them up. That's today's game plan.

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 10:13 am:

Looking at the end holes, the holes closest to the end are the rear fender mounting holes..

The front fender mounting holes are spaced a bit farther from the ends, and also, there are two holes on the side flange that use a plate mounted to the inside edge of the splash shield to bolt the front of the splash shield to the running boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 10:37 am:

Robert, you are correct re the Ford Logo. Looking straight down, you see a "normal" looking "Ford". In my experience with fighting with running boards, it seems that once they're completely off the car, and then to put them back on, it's like fighting with a rubber band. Seems the holes never want to line up easily, particularly the rear fenders. They get there, but of the 3 cars I've done R.B. work with, only one was simple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 10:49 am:

Sounds like I'm on the right track. Rubber hammer and six pack at the ready.

Thanks for the reinforcement. Forgot about the splash shield holes. That would have been a no brainer that they need to be towards the body of the car. But I'm going a different direction with the splash shields in my design, so they are not in the equation.

Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 11:01 am:

I don't know what you did to your rear fenders but let me say what happened when I restored a 26 Roadster. I did the body work while the fenders were off the car and when I went to install them they were a couple inches too far forward to mount the running board. I had to push them back toward the back of the car and caused the bead to bend at the top of the rear fender. See picture attached.

When I restored the 26 Touring, I fitted all the body and fender parts first before I painted. I assembled everything to be sure it fit correctly and then took it apart and painted it. The fenders and running boards fit correctly. If I am correct in my memory, the mounting holes for the running board brackets are a different distance from the ends of the running boards for front and back. However the running boards are interchangeable from side to side.

I haven't had any other year body apart, so don't know how yours would fit if it is a different year.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

I ran into the same problem when I changed a rear fender on my '27 Tudor.
The ONLY way I could get the holes lined up again was by twisting and tugging on the front fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

I guess we all have had problems with the running board installation. When I re-restored the 1912, I had to put new ones on. I did not have a problem with the connection to the fenders, but getting the bolts down into the running board brackets with the splash aprons in place was a challenge. I used several friction squeeze clamps on the running board and the bracket. Seemed to do the trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

R.S....funny you mention the clamps. Me too! That's how I got things to fit after re-restoring my '12 Com. Roadster P/U, and heck, I was even putting back all the SAME ones!! Ha ha.. they must've been shape-shifters!! But I prevailed. Reminded me how religious I am too! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

On my 25' coupe I have new fenders, front and back so holes had to be drilled, the running boards I figured were original and in good shape, but holes were off, especially in front. I ended up welding the holes in front and redrilling. Then a thought, maybe my boards were replaced long ago because all holes front and back were drilled different. I first had kind of blamed Rootleib for the front fenders being short, wrong, but something sure was different! Also passenger side running board braces were bent up some and had to be straightened, I did not get the front brace down enough and the front fender is a little high, that's easy fix. So I am not alone, guess none of us are!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

I used long taper punches as alignment tools to get the fenders and running boards to line up and fit correctly.
Since we are on the subject I'll bet the line body assemblers used something similar to put the bodies together on the assembly line at the factory.

Thomas E. raises a good point about the running board braces. On my 21 Touring rebuild I used a 1 1/4'"ID pipe slipped over the brace and realigned the braces. One had been bent to one side just a tad. It did make a difference when trying to get the running boards lined up to match the holes.

We post a lot about getting the frame lined up and square BUT forget about the alignment of the running board braces. I know because I was one of them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Well, so far, so good. Running boards went on and I left the bolts loose, but snug. I'm not in love with the look of the front fenders, not where they attach to the running boards, but the fender irons are a little droopy. I'll heat them up and put a bar on them and get them bent a little more upright and I should be good.

I'm making a express body out of wood for the rear and will mount the fenders directly to the wod side panels, so I'll have to wait on the rear fender until I get to that point.
Wood dash, hood former and brackets all went on with the usual fumbling around the starter. I'll install the headlights tomorrow after I straighten the fender irons.

I'ts coming together, I think.

Steering column will be this week. It's all apart and getting cleaned and painted.

Trying to keep the momemtun going before cold weather sets in. Son noticed that I put the head gasket in backwards with the little tab sticking out in the front and a little gap in the rear, so I get to do that all over again. Oh, well, that's the price you pay for being challendged. But it's not the end of the world.

Thanks to all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration