Bright Light Socket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bright Light Socket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Babb on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 10:22 am:

On eBay but what is inside? What makes it work? The description says: Gives a Powerful White Penetrating Light and a Clear View of the Entire Road. THE BIGGEST LITTLE THING FOR FORD CARS. It only goes on the RIGHT Hand lamp. The BRIGHT LITE SOCKET gives a white light at low speeds. In case one bulb blows out the other continues to burn. On a 1915 T? How does it do that?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222300468095?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 10:32 am:

Looks like one of those snake oil items to me! If I'm correct (50/50 chance there!) a '15 T light socket is a single probe, not a double. I would think pretty much any light socket is still going to have the bulb go dim on a magneto powered headlamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 11:16 am:

The '15 - 1918 magneto headlight bulbs are double contact single filament bulbs. Those connectors would fit a '15 - '18 no problem.

I agree snake oil for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 11:18 am:

1915 Ford head light is double contact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Thanks for bringing this to us Sam. It is always fun to see this stuff.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

Thanks for setting me straight. Now to only REMEMBER it! But if only a single element then why double posts? Was that to ground the bulb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

I believe that the magneto lights were wired in series, so the contacts were double, one in and one out. There is probably a resistor or shunt that would make contact inside the socket and complete the circuit if a lamp burned out, much like the Christmas lights that stay lit when one burns out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

the filament was isolated from the bulb base, as the mag headlights were wired in series. The base just keeps the bulb in place, it has no electrical purpose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Jeff, Just saw your post, normally they are just like the old 7 light strings, when one goes out, they all go out. These sockets apparently put the lamps in parallel--which makes sense if you only need one socket per car. They could do that by having both wire on one contact, and the other contact to ground. The end headlamp bulb is wired that way, one wire from the other socket, the other contact to a wire to the frame.
The old Christmas lights did not have shunts, when one went out, they all did. Not having a shunt wasn't a really big deal on the old Christmas light sets, as there were only 7 bulbs (7 x 17v = 119v, house current) per set, but on the new ones, Oy Vey!! 120 bulbs!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Wow! $16.85 Canadian for shipping. Canada Post must be charging for storage again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

There was no resistor or shunt from 1915 - 1918 for magneto headlights. I believe 1919 was the first year that Ford incorporated a dimming resistor into the MAG headlight circuit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Babb on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Thanks David, I think you got it right the gizmo hooks the two wire together and the lamp between that point and the chassis.That would be a BRIGHT LIGHT almost double the voltage and four times the power. The lamps would be bright, most likely not lasting that long at that power level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

David, the old Christmas lights were series wired and when one went out, they all did since the circuit was broken. I was referring to the newer lights (not the L.E.D. lights) that are supposed to remain lit when one goes out. There is a fuse or shunt in the bulb that is supposed to make contact and complete the circuit if the bulb goes out. I think the sudden surge when the light goes out makes it happen. They even sell a tool that sends a surge when you pull a trigger if the light doesn't do it automatically.

Royce, I was speculating that there was some kind of resistor or shunt in the Bright Light Socket that keeps the light lit even when the other goes out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 12:58 am:

Jeff,
I understood that, that's why I said, with the new lights--120 bulbs! Good thing they have the shunt--sadly, they often don't "shunt."
These sockets (actually "Socket" as you only use one per car, converts the bulbs circuit into a parallel one, one reason the instructions suggest going to a 12 volt bulb to reduce burn-outs.
It's actually a pretty clever accessory.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration