OT - Rotator Cuff surgery?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Rotator Cuff surgery?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

I have surgery the first of December. A quarter size tear. Any one here have had this done to them? Any thoughts? How long did it take you to heal enough to work on cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

Had three,one twice.Normal will set you back about 2-3 months.If they have to cut you open,about a year. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton, Utah on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Not to discourage you, but Iíve got metal knees now and a pacemaker and the rotator cuff repair was the toughest. My shoulder was pretty well torn up so that surely made a difference, but itís not an easy one, no matter what. As soon as I could I hung a pulley from the ceiling with a short piece of rope through it, put a wooden handle on each end and used it to exercise every day. Use the good side to force the other side a little further each day. When I could make my right hand, the bad side, go over the top of my head and scratch my left ear I knew I was making progress!! Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

I had a torn rotator cuff and suffered for about a year. After a while I opted for a steroid injection along with rehab exercises. I got immediate relief from the injection and by gradually introducing the rehab have fully recovered. Its been about 4 months since the injection and I can do all the stuff I did before.

My rehab guy says the ortho docs all want to cut you open, including the one I went to. I'd certainly give steroids and rehab a chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

So far this year,I have had a total hip replacement,and cervical disc replacement,with fusion.Had the steroid shots in both shoulders.Arthritis.Both shoulders nearly frozen.The steroid injections,with novacaine,were a miracle.Am gradually getting back range of motion,and the snap crackle pop is easing up.Iam going to try to avoid shoulder replacement surgery.
Tyrone,and everybody,my point is if possible avoid surgery.The shots helped my shoulders because there was something there to work with.The people that I have been in therapy with have progressed well from rotator cuff suegery.I have a feeling youll be back at it in no time.If you have any questions about Occupational ir Physical Therapy,PM me.After 12 1/2 months I feel like I damn near have a degree!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Barclay in west Michigan on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

I had mine done the end of March. Had a total disconnect, and two tears so it was pretty bad shape I was back to work (a mechanic on a large fruit farm ) by June. I would say I am about 80 percent now. But a guy at church had his done a month after I did and he was doing great in about 4 months. The important thing is to follow the rules. I think it might be worth looking into the therapy, I wish I would have 2 or 3 years ago. Good luck with what ever you decide.
George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

I tore and severely damaged my right rotator cuff in January.The doctor gave me a steroid shot and 24 therapy sessions. Both helped and I still work on my old Fords but everything takes longer and requires more planning on my part. I just got another shot and I asked the doctor about replacement. He said I would need a total replacement and would be limited to lifting only 5 pounds. He suggested that I should consider it only if I could not stand the constant pain. I plan to just tough it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

I got my right one done exactly two years ago. The first week after surgery was the worst. I had a wonderful therapist. After three months he released me back into the real world. I'd say I'm back to 90% now, maybe even better. I was in bad shape. I couldn't sleep at night, or much less crank my '13. I'm glad I had it done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

I had it done a little over 10 years ago.Orthoscopic.
DO exactly what the therapist say, don't "cheat" and not do it. Makes a big difference.
Pain wise,for a long time I actually wondered if the doc just poked 3 holes in my shoulder with a pin and called it surgery as there was NO relief.
I was plainly told by my surgeon that it would not ever be 100%. I think after surgery i was rated a 20% perm disability on that shoulder.I can not raise it all the way up.
As far as pain, to this day i still have bouts with it. My neighbor had it done a couple years before me and said sometimes it is as if he never had it done.If I had it to do over, i would have inquired about shots or alternative treatments.
You will set off metal detectors if you get the same work done i did.
As long as it is not over head work,I have good strength in that arm. Lifting is more limited by my back and hips now than the shoulder.
But to your original question, I would say expect about 2.5 months before you will be "back in the groove". But expect some pain even after the surgery

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Thank you all. I have two super doper titanium knees so far. I love them. We caught this cuff tear pretty early so the surgery is micro surgery. Not a slice and dice. Doc said I could continue without the surgery, however, in time if not fixed, it would become a matter of painkillers and therapy for the rest of my life. While I have double insurance, its go time. I agree Mack. The key to a successful surgery is following the doc's/therapist orders to the T.
My knees took less time to heal than it sounds like this cuff will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 12:12 am:

Good luck. I thought I torn mine on Labor day. Found out I extensive torn the SLAP. I am having surgery in a few weeks too. Been trying to figure how long I'll be crippled up. The doctor was clear as mud on the recovery time..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 01:09 am:

We thought Joan was fully recovered from the 1907 Cadillac accident in June. But she got increasing shoulder pain, and we just found she has a torn rotator cuff. Surgery is scheduled for December 1. We hope she'll be riding horses again in the spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 06:46 am:

I did mine doing professional auto body repair. Mine was real bad, my surgeon said he was surprised when he got inside. 6 holes and over 100 knots . My problem was my physical therapist was too aggressive, causing my shoulder to be in a constant state of inflammation. After 8 months I told the insurance rep I was going back to work. In 2 weeks I was going full blast. My therapist almost killed me with my exercise program. Best of luck! Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:45 am:

While doing the recovery thing, DON'T CHEAT, man you'll pay the price in the end !!! You know your in deep do-do when you can't lift a broom handle over your head. Don't be discouraged, it'll get better but it's going to take awhile. Been there, done that 3 times !!! Lost 35% rotation on the one shoulder that had surgery twice. Then there's the "couch patata's" that'll skate through life without a simple ache or pain, where did we go wrong ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 11:10 am:

You fellows that get surgery on your rotator cuffs are lucky. I've been told that the tear in mine is too deep to be repaired, so I just gotta live w/it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

I would like to comment on what Gary said. Rehab is not going to be enjoyable, but if they are really hurting you, speak up, for God's sake. And you should progress.
I had a therapist when I was still fairly new to it that must be kin to Hitler. She seemed to get off by hurting a big old, worn out former strength athlete like me. Thank God she moved on.
If I had it to do over again, I would have raised all kinds of hell with higher powers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Jim,the problem in Va Workman Comp claims treatment is any deviation from the prescribed treatment can lead to loss of coverage and denial of further injury treatment down the road if needed. The claims lady was raising h**l about my time out of work. I told her I couldn't have survived on the payments if I would have had any debt. I finally told her I was going off therapy. I agree with your advice in hindsight. 'Course being 66 I'm past the work world now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

My brother is 40 and had a small tear and it's been two years and he is not much better than before surgery. . I need it but will just baby it for a while. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

I understand completely, Gary. You have to walk on eggshells and weigh your words.If you do any thing against MEDICAL advice, you can wind up getting your insurance cancelled. That is why I stayed the course and suffered. BUT, if therapy is causing you to go backwards, due to someone keeping you sore and busted up, I will no longer tolerate it. IMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Fowler on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

I have not been officially diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff but x-rays reveal no fractures, spurs etc. I noticed I could not raise my right arm much over head height and if I jerk that arm away as in to avoid injury, it hurts like hell at the shoulder. I do about everything to avoid going to a doctor and so I went online to figure out what was going on. I came across the shouldertherapyinstitute watched the intro and ordered it. ($97 / money back guarantee) I've been doing the very short exercises for about a week. I haven't completed the steps but I have noticed more flexibility and it doesn't seem to hurt as much during the night. I know my other options are MRIs, injections, possible surgery. I decided to try this first. Just passing this along...it might be helpful to some of you.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration