OT Old playground photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Old playground photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

I found this on Facebook. Nobody sitting around looking at their phone there. They are having fun and getting exercise. People that design the ultra safe playgrounds of today couldn't imagine. The relatively safe stuff we had in the 80s is gone from our school replaced with plastic stuff it's impossible to fall off of. No more big metal slide that burns your bottom on the way down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

Ah, those were the days. No incredibly obese kids in that picture, either. Don't get me started. There was a "shoot-the-slide" in a big park in the town where my grandparents lived that was so tall, it would give a mountain-goat a nose-bleed. It was a rite of passage to be both brave enough and strong enough to climb that monster, and endure the ride to the bottom, in my child's mind, you probably hit 50mph by the end, and really had to prepare for the "landing" !! Of course it's long gone . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 02:57 pm:

Back then, and even now, I'd be afraid to death to be up on that top bar like those kids!! Yeh, call me chicken-s#@t!! It's true!! Ha ha. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Oh, boy, ... don't get me started !

For most of my life I just heard the period term "Eugenics" and never really knew what it
meant. Then I started reading about history. Basically, a "thinning of the herd" logic with
an applied effort above and beyond the natural course of Darwinism. In other words, breed
the strong, cull the inferior stock.

For a great read, dial up Edwin Black, "War Against the Weak"

Eugenics was the starting point of genetic science applied to humans. It was huge during
the Model T era and a largely swept-under-the-rug chunk of American history that became
a national "embarrassment" when the Nazis took it to its "final solution". But make no mistake
about it, the United States and even our own government were deeply invested in this budding
science and fed Germany much of what they took to places that organizations like the ERO,
Carnegie Foundation, Harrimans, and Rockefellers never could get legislation for. "Only" 27
of the 48 States legalized the forced sterilization of the "feebleminded" and "degenerate class",
of which over half a million people were so "processed" through State institutions.

The obvious backlash is what we enjoy today, ... rather than raise the bar to even consider
allowing idiots to off themselves on playground equipment, we take it all out and make it law
to wear helmets so the morons of society can make it to breeding age and make more of them-
selves ! It is now public policy to cater to the lowest common denominator rather than encourage
oh, ... I don't know, .... didn't they used to call it "common sense" ?

To think of the crazy swings we built as kids that shot out over cliffs, the all day jaunts to parts
unknown without a parent knowing or being concerned that we'd show up for dinner.

Now it is all about the hurt feelings of the males that want to use the women's restrooms and
other bizarre notions. If I told everyone I wanted to be respect as the unicorn that I "feel" I am
"inside", everyone would call me a loon. Hmmm ....

What happened to my grandparents' America ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

Truly, it's a pitfall of "democracy" that standards will lower to the least common denominator . . . that's why we're supposed to be a "republic" - but the difference is lost on the common herd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

The picture reminds me of when we looked for the kid whose mother wrapped his sandwich in the wax paper that covered bread loafs. It was great for polishing the play ground's metal slide so we could go down faster.

Wouldn't you like to have that bicycle?

Kid on the left seems to be on his way down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

I see one girl,on a low bar to the right.Where I live there is an Amish settlement.I once commented to the Bishop when I saw some kids doing something dangerous---'what ya tryin'to do,get the dumb or weak ones killed? He looked at me with a straight face and said,'And?'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

Today's ambulance chasing lawyers would sit on the sideline, hoping and waiting for each and every di$a$ter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 12:12 am:

I have a childhood friend who had three boys. The elder two are ass-kicking,
go-to adults with their heads really screwed on right. The youngest was killed
a few years ago in a heroin street buy gone bad. This, after a ten-year Darwinism
warm up run, including 3 years in the State pen.

Not everyone grows up to be an astronaut, you know ?

Idiots gotta come from SOMEWHERE, and NOWHERE in the life plan instruction
manual does it say we are guaranteed a bright and sunny existence just for showing
up.

What chaps my ass about this is that we can no longer have much of a conversation
anymore, because he is so #@! deluded about his worthless scumbag of a kid, going
on and on about how "wonderful" he was, etc., yet you'd never know he has two
really great boys WHO DID make good decisions and are good citizens by the total
lack of discussion about them !

It's a microcosm of our societal dismissal or ignoring of those who exercise good
decisions, discipline, and success, and instead make every #@! excuse in the world
for why/how the idiots deserve "more".

Has anyone seen where my grandparents' America went ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 01:17 am:

Burger, our grandparents America caught a very bad cold during the Great Depression,and got all drugged up on medication that treated symptoms, and not the cause.She fought with extreme bravery and effectiveness during WW2 despite being not quite feeling her best.
After the War, She found out that even though the cold was much better, nearly gone, she had formed a drug habit. Through the Fifties, She was pretty well able to hide this from everybody. Then in the sixties we had the Kennedy assassination.Vietnam.Social upheaval. Still of basically terrific constitution, She put up valiant fight against all that came up against her.
But time wears on. And there is still that drug habit,only treating the symptoms, never the cause. This was a plot, because too many were benefitting from keeping her drugged.
So now we have an elderly but classy lady that has seen better days. She puts up with crap that would have been unthinkable when a young woman. Just doesn't have the pep anymore.She is teetering on the brink of final collapse.
But I firmly believe She can be revitalized.The basics are still there. We just need the right doctor to dry the old gal out and get her on the road to health.
I mention nor promote any political party. I intentionally make our country a female. I don't see how this could offend anyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Looks like Amish training ground for future barn builders. I have a construction company and I hired an Amish fellow to install standing seam roofing. He had his four year old son with him when he came to measure job. We were on the roof and I turned around and there was his son right behind me. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 11:13 am:

Gary,

Look at that photo again, I think the young fellow is sitting on a bar like a trapeze I see chains hanging down from the frame above him.

We used to have large metal jungle gyms at all the grade schools where I grew up there were two sets at every school, one for the boys and one for the girls. They had Monkey bars, see-saws, swings, and very high sliding boards. Recess was held everyday so we could release some energy to aid in the teachers sanity.

And yes I've fallen off the top and broke my arm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 11:20 am:

I was in elementary school in Newton, MA in the late '40s and early '50s. Our playground equipment wasn't too much different from the original photo posted here. We all survived. There were a couple of scraped knees, but that was about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

I went to school with a fair cross-section of Einsteins, normies, the socially inept,
and downright morons. Most of us evolved to a happier middle ground through
peer pressure, stupid acts, falling off high places, embarrassing ourselves, and
scraped knees. A few did not.

Early on, I got the idea in my head that it might be a good plan to ditch personal
pride/stubbornness and learn from observing the stupid maneuvers of those around
me. Not that I ceased to do stupid things ! Just that I did not have to "skin my own
knees" for every lesson learned. See that guy with the broken face ? Yeah, ... don't
do what he did ! The plan has saved me a few bad ends in the ensuing years.

But some people are just born idiots. I find myself just amazed at some of the stunts
people will enter into as "good ideas". Honestly, it is some of the best humor out there.
And not to fear, .... should little Timmy splat himself on the pavement, the world will
make plenty more idiots to fill the void. We can only hope he doesn't take an innocent
with him in the process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

When I was just old enough to pretty well understand what was going on, a terrible tragedy was the topic of conversation. Several young people had been milled doing something singularly stupid. Not an automobile accident. The oldest relative, an old lady,ex teacher, was quiet.
Finally somebody said something that made her come up for air. 'I know all those kids families. Had 'em in school. Don't understand what everybody is so upset about. All I see is, the herd got culled before they could make more idiots'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

Reminds me of my friend with the two successful kids that he largely
ignores, as he steeps himself in deluded "sorrow" for the one that got
his own ass killed as a result of YEARS of REALLY BAD decision making.
Not sure why so many people want to pity/support those who would
not change a thing in their lives to be something less scummy, stupid,
or lazy. They see/saw nothing wrong with how they live/d.

And why should third party individuals impose THEIR idea of how to
live on them ? If that's how they choose to live, who is anyone else to
tell them otherwise, let alone mourn the results of their choices ?

Rejoice in the process of real life as it naturally occurs ! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration