Safety Hub Alignment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Safety Hub Alignment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

Mounted my new DMC Gears safety hub to my Pharis Metals Buffalo hub. Brake drum aligns on hub so wheel hub needs to be accurately centered on the safety hub to prevent brake hop. You can feel that drum if it is off center. Aligned and indexed with a couple of roll pins.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 01:34 am:

Unless you are doing some supper duper brakes, which you don't say, would it be that critical with Model T outside brakes or even disk brakes? Outside brakes are going to conform to the drum and will move with it. Wouldn't the pads follow a line even if the disk moves in and out a little on the disk brakes. You don't say how much they are out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Just bolting them together they can be as much as .060 out, you can feel that. I have a Model T so disc brakes don't apply. But if you did have disc brakes the out of round wouldn't be felt as the movement would be parallel to the pads.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 11:22 am:

"I have a Model T so disc brakes don't apply"

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2565.aspx

What brakes are you going to be using? If this is for the speedster in your profile, you might think about the disk brake conversion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

Like I said, disc brakes are not an option for any Model T I own. To each their own.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

Great! You still have not answered the question what brakes you are going to use.

Your right, to each their own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

Andy, you might like to give that o ring so the inside end of the spiggot some help. The bore of the axle housings is rough, and getting an o ring to properly seal is problematical. I assemble mine with Loctite red flange sealant. It is a non setting sealant which will give a good seal.I coat the outside of the spiggot as it is installed, making sure there is still a good bead around it just before it gets home. Being non setting, it will allow easy removal if necessary later on.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

Mark, I am running rockies. I just wanted to note a step in the process to get the installation correct.

Alan, I hone the axle relatively smooth and am going to run a neoprene inner seal set in silicone along with the seals in the safety hub. I think Dan's clearances are pretty good on the safety hub but there is room for the seal so, belt and suspenders.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration