Fitting full floating bearings to wire wheel hubs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fitting full floating bearings to wire wheel hubs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 05:23 am:

Hi all.
I'm looking at fitting full floating bearings to a 1927 diff with ford wire wheels, how have people got around fitting the wheel studs withe the brake drum in between the hub and bearing flange? What studs are used for this

Many thanks for any responses
Glen McConachie
New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 10:35 am:

If you are going to run modern bearings that's great but you will potentially need to resolve an oil leak. The full floating hubs I have leaked, they needed to be used with modern inner bearings. On http://www.tfoye.com you will find a page called "modern bearings" - that will show you what needs to be done to install the inners. The outers just slip on, and bolt to the housing. Mine work great and the disc brakes went right on no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 10:56 am:

Glen,

The suppliers of floating hubs sell a version for use with Ford wire wheels. Not aware of an oil leak issue but apparently Tim has experienced this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Jerry my observation, if my memory is working at the moment, is that the seals in the floating hubs were just not big enough (small enough? - I.D.) to touch the axles and form a seal. I pulled a set of non-floating hubs and went to the full floaters to correct a wobble I had involving the disc brake rotors. As I already had the modern inner bearings with perfect seals - no oil can reach the outers to test the theory. So my statement is based on an educated guess and not a jab at whom-ever is manufacturing these hubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

Tim,

No jab perceived by me. In floating hubs that I've made, I put the seals on the inner ends of the stub inserts. So far so good. I think some others put the seals near the outer end, maybe that makes a difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

Jerry, I make mine with seals on the inside end too. In most cases they run on a portion of the ground bearing surface which has never had the original roller running on it. Any wear on the outer end of the axle would make for a less than optimal fit for a seal at that end.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen McConachie on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Hi Jerry

Thanks for that, the main part I was trying to figure was by the time the studs are pressed through the bearing flange, brake drum and hub I would need longer than standard studs to be able to lock them in the wheel hub like would normally be done. Is there an off the shelf stud available?

Many thanks
Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

Glen,

It's been so long since I did mine I don't recall where the studs came from, but yes, they were a stock item.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Scott on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 05:21 am:

Allan bennett, do you have drawings for the floating hubs you make, if so can i get a copy. Thanks Andrew, Qld downunder

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration