What have you done? November 2016

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What have you done? November 2016
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:34 am:

I don't think anybody else has done it, so I'll kick it off this month.

My Saturday project was weighing magnets so I can make a full set of equal weights, and mining for more magnets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Prepping cars for winter storage. Only keep the '20 & Model A on "full insurance" for those rare warm days in winter wonderland. The next 3 days will be some of those. Plan to drive the pants off the '20 those days, maybe even take the dog for a ride in "her" Model A. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Hey Steve how do you like those scales?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 10:07 am:

I removed my summer air cleaner setup and installed the factory hot air pipe with my flexible heater ducting in preparation for winter driving.

I also removed my side curtains from their bag, unrolled them and installed them on the car to help them straighten out to their normal shape.

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 11:26 am:

Put my '27 in it's trailer and towed it to it's new home in Florida. We're moving South.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

Building a visor for the Tudor. The one that was on it was a piece of plywood with incorrect brackets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

I whittled on my floorboards so the top 2 would fit. My dad made these for me about 20 years ago before I had the body all together and I've been driving without the top 2. Now I can pile up Dr Pepper cans in the floor like everything else I drive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Hudson on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Mark I like the idea of the duck work for heat, but do you get much heat in the cab? I also like your side curtains, I just ordered some for my P/U.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Spent Saturday and Sunday starting to install panels after primer and paint. It's a WWI light patrol car, so, yes, it's olive drab.

1915 sheet metal. All wood express body will be winter project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

It actually does pretty well, certainly better than nothing.

Classtique made my custom side curtains based on some sketches I sent them. I wanted more clear area than stock for better visibility. I also needed some notches in the front and bottom of the driver's side curtain to clear the spare tire carrier and outside rear view mirror mounts (Larry Smith, please forgive me!). :-)

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Steve, you can easily make small adustments to magnet weights by linishing the ends on a belt sander. In my experience you almost have enough to work with. Getting them gram perfect is not absolutely necessary, as you will still need to balance the flywheel once you have built it up.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Randall, so far so good. Working fine.

Allan, that's what I did on the last mag I put together. But I want them to be pretty close to begin with. This new batch should provide enough around 388/389 to complete a full equal set with minimum grinding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A Falconer on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 12:11 am:

Took my '26 touring on a twenty five mile round trip today to visit some friends, and probably the last drive of the year.

Bought my first T in the first part of August 2015 at an antique auction sale (see my profile picture).

Then about two months later I found and bought a rebuilt chassis, it just needed a body:

Did a body swap over the winter, and by late spring was able to drive it and worked out some bugs:

In the above picture both the car and my house were 90 years old in July.

I estimate nearly 130 miles on it so far, it's not perfect by any means but I'm happy with it. Would have drove more over the summer but between rain every few days and horrid mosquitoes that didn't happen.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 01:05 am:

I'm getting closer to a test drive:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 01:59 am:

Started installing my Classtique interior...

Seat backs, already had the cushion covers.

Interior panels.

Finishing the trim on the front seat cover.

One thing I found is, that a pneumatic stapler beats a tack hammer and tacks any day and not as hard on the fingers either (smacked mine a few times with the hammer). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 07:11 am:

I just finished making a mount for a dial indicator , this will be used to fine tune the Anderson timer.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 08:10 am:

Martin..have fun! I'm sure glad Elizabeth was able to stop in at my place to install mine last March on her way to Georgia and beyond. Not an easy job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 08:13 am:

Martin, I second your vote for the pneumatic stapler, it allows you to stretch and hold the fabric in position while you drive the staple. The stapler also has a narrow "nose" that fits down into the center of "hide-em" welting.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 08:34 am:

Temporarily installed brake lights and a wireless turn signal kit to the car. I'll sort out a better installation over the winter. Other than that I've just been putting miles on the new motor when I get a free few minutes (7 month old daughter at home so free time is hard to find).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 08:52 am:

I got the chassis totally finished for my current project. Now it's on to the body work.

chas

eng

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:06 am:

I DO like the looks of those tires, Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

I haven't done very much to the T except put new antifreeze in it and take it on a couple trips around the neighborhood.

I spent most of the time on the Model A.
I finished installing the wiring, made new mats for the front and back, cleaned the seats and carpet, replaced a rear window lift mechanism, and put it back on the dollies so we could get my wife's van back in the garage.

I also put running boards on our extended cab Chevy Z71 Off Road 4X4 so we can get in and out easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Doing something military, Mike?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Healey on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

summers over so back in garage. Touring car was put in corner and started working on the express. Here is a before picture and couple of the wood body. took a ton of pictures of the old body with many measurements to rebuild a replica of the wood body. wood was shot but was able to save the metal parts. Started fitting sheet metal this week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 06:05 am:

Last week I started the reassembly of the 1914 Runabout.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 06:49 am:

I go tired of dealing with my crusty gas tank in my '26 and pulled it for cleaning. And yes, the tank was dry and fume free. Since I didn't own a huge tumbler and couldn't figure out a really good efficient way of getting the job just shaking it by hand, I did the next best thing: used my clothes dryer. I checked the clearances in the dryer and purchased an inner-tube from the local gas station for $15. Stretched it over the tank, placed 100 concrete nails inside (also removed same amount, inflated it to hold the tank in place, then ran it through a few air fluff cycles. Did a nice job. Prepping it for POR15 gas tank sealer now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:46 am:

Kevin: do you live alone? LOL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:01 am:

Drove it, drove it, and drove it some more! Running out of good weather days, so the projects such as there are, can wait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:03 am:

Steve -- Yes, I'm building a Light Patrol Car for the Military Aviation Museum in VA Beach. They already have a Hucks Starter Truck and an Ambulance I built for them. (Gus Bryngelson built the Ambulance body.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:11 am:

Charlie...of course! Do you seriously think a wife would let me get away with that? Actually no smell or mess left at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Started making my rear spring shackles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

We drove the Tudor to breakfast and then to the polls to Vote. Then I dug through parts hoping to find enough for a fan, hose tube and clamps for my current project. I seem to have found most everything for this '14 around the house and garage. It pays to pick up those bargains at the Swap Meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

That fan blade on the right looks like it has a few good revolutions left!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

It looks like it's shot. If I didn't have 2 better ones I'd love to fix and balance it.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Today I got to the DMV and registered and titled my 26 Touring. I also drained the engine of fluid. I had to cut the hoses they were bad. Then I hit it with an air hose.

Drain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

I checked anti freeze in the model A s and both T s the 26 rpu needs some extra anti freeze. Haven't got anything else done since I rebuilt the cArb on the a 26 couple weeks ago. This is our busiest time of the yeAr at work. Mandatory weekends. That's why checking the freeze it will be thanksgiving day before I can get any more time off or anything anything else done. From then until January I won't be getting off except half days on Sunday. All 12 + hour days... Sounds like a good time to call Langs so I will be ready. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

Had to rearrange a few of the T's !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 07:53 am:

Finished up my rear spring shackles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:35 am:

I just opened an engine of a Model T friend. Now He is member of the [Two PIECE CRANK SHAFT CLUB ]
Toon
153m
154m
155m
157m

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:41 am:

Toon, Looks like he may have got lucky and not broke the block?

I have been using my T doodlebug to tie my rope to, then tie it around me while up on my roof doing a replacement of roofing materials. Worked great, walk right out to the edge with no fear of falling. Unfortunately, it was hard starting, might have to take the carb apart and see whats going on if there is junk in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:27 am:

Restoring the steering column today. Fitted new gears into the cluster. Only had to crocus cloth down the pinion shaft to fit snug in the newly nickel plated cover. That went great!

Then on to the little things like the springs and cups for the levers.

My favorite hand tools on the pegboard wall are needle nose Vise Grip pliers.

One on the lever holding it tight against the quadrant.

(Still need to rivet the cluster to the column)

Then another to push up and hold the spring and its cup above the pin hole.

Insert the pin and release! Easy Peezy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Bagged up the AUTOWA for the winter,will finish in spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 01:01 am:

Nice warm fall day (68) in the Lake of the Ozarks. Just had to go to Walmart to get out. Main channel of Horse Shoe Bend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ED THIBODEAU on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

Is their any way this site can be reversed so the new items are at the top so I don't have to scroll thru old entries to see what is new. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

Ed, use the navigation arrows at the beginning of any thread entry. The one on the right takes you to the bottom of the thread. The one on the left takes you back to the top of the thread.

Now, if you are using dial-up and the page takes too long to load, the arrows won't help that issue. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

Re balled a wish bone today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Screwed on and ready for tac welding

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ben jermainne on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Well I have finally decided to start working on my car again. Had to pack all my car parts and move due to my fiance telling me our relationship was over. My 12 was supposed to done for our wedding well all that did was make me put it aside and not want to work on it. Now it's time to get back at it and enjoy it for myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Ben
Your T will never tell you that. Glad to hear another is going together.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

Did a shade tree tune up on the 1923 Runabout. Starts better and runs like a scalded rabbit.

There was NO pitting on the points (dizzy) and minimal sooting on the plugs. Minor carb adjustment as well.

I have no "project" right now other than I want to rebuild the tranny on my 1927 due to noise and vibration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 02:57 pm:

Noise and vibration? Isn't that normal? :-O

foghorn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ED THIBODEAU on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

thanks Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

Watch my wife leave me. Just temporary to get her head straight. I sure prey it is just temp. Thank for asking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 08:37 am:

Well I improved the space for working on the T. I added insulation to the garage. Still more for to be done but the cars like it.

Garage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 08:45 am:

Nice Super Bee! Is that a '67 Charger in the lower RH corner of the picture? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Just finished eight coils for someone in France.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 10:42 am:

Mark it is a 67 Charger. I've got a 64 Imperial as well as the 26 T hiding behind the lawnmower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

Funny how some of us Mopar guys are also into T's.

A little OT, but one site I go to over the years has repeatedly asked if you weren't into Mopars what manufacture would you take too. The resounding answer was Pontiac.

71 Duster and '85 Dodge pickup short stepside (last year for that bed) are in our stable, among many others we've had and sold through the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

More OT - I agree, if I hadn't gotten into Mopars, it would have been Pontiac. Here's my current Mopar, I have owned many over the years.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Made Nut containers out of Nuts containers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

Out polishing brass and opened my hood and I guess yesterday I lost my oil cap. Guess those engine pans are handy. Shimmed my radius rod ball yesterday. Guess I lost that cap on my test drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Hung a couple new lights in garage gearing up for rear axle rebuild.the older I get the more lights I buy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

Mopars ? What Mopars ?

1958 Plymouth
1958 DeSoto
1966 Dodge

The latter two I have owned for 30 years. The former is one I wanted
for at least as long, but only found the exact car I wanted 5 years ago.

I am a picky SOB.

I can count the number of Fords I'd own on one hand. I am not brand
loyal. I'd own cars like early 20's Packards and Locomobiles if I had a
trust fund !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

Rebuilt eight Model T Ford starting motors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Beautiful! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

Today I fitted an external oil line to my '26. Easy enough to do and I hope it helps protect the engine in the long run. I am just about ready to put her away for the winter (a sad day).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

The boy wanted to race me with his truck. He's making sure he gets off the line first.

It was 36 degrees this morning. Time to switch over to the Coupe. Church, breakfast and out for a ride.

This is the first time we have had the Coupe out since early last Spring. Ran perfect for our 73 mile run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dylan Thomas Wills on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Started playing with the coil box for our '14. It was on the rougher side, but after some work and a couple skim coats of filler it should be good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

No pictures but this weekend I had a model t expert come over and checkout my 1911 touring. Since I've never tuned a model t and I didn't know what good looks like.

The only issue we found was one coil that wasn't firing correctly. Moved it to another spot and down the road we go.

He thought it ran really good so I guess I'll leave it at that. Next is a Thursday appointment with the DMV for title and plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 09:10 am:

Two TT's back home after campaign. Four more to go after plus the mini-TT that has to be trailered. They are a million times better than yard signs. I won my 8th term.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

Built 10 more Electronically Cranked Coil Testers (ECCTs)

November 2016 ECCT Assembly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Very Nice Mike! Now you can get started on those ETimers again... I know your winter weather is coming soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall Strickland, Lambsburg Va on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

Started machining for model A crank conversion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

I painted my rear end, the visible parts. Paint was getting old, had about 15 years on the body and fenders. All I need is the metal sill cover and I'll be done painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Finally finished and sent out a complete Kingston box and coil assembly for a 1912 Jackson. That was the longest length of time (several years) that it has ever taken me to complete a component project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:37 am:

R.V.,
Beautiful job as always. I am wondering how do you get this brightness on the wood? Do you use special varnish ??

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Wow, work of art RV! Beautiful indeed. Do you have a photo of the interior to share?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

Thank you for the kind words. Andre, I use Minwax UV resistant Marine Spar Varnish. The "secret" is not to use grain filler with it (mahogany is a very open grain); it would give it a "cloudy" or "muddy" appearance. This box has 7 hand brushed and hand sanded coats. That gives it the clear, even reflection and gloss. The disadvantage is that with all the sanding, it is extremely easy to get "sand-thrus" leaving a spot or strip of bare wood, especially along the edges and corners. But I am perfecting my touch-up technique, and also getting better at putting them where they don't show ;<)

Mike, I didn't take a photo of the box "guts." I'm not good enough with a camera to get the photo to show enough depth with all the small stuff inside. The box is too deep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

Thanks R.V. ,
The secret was the 7 hand brushed and sanded coats. I use the same varnish but only 2 coats. I will try this out and show you.
Your work is great.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

Balanced transmission drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Dingler, Crowley Texas on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 10:21 am:

Nearly ready for paint

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Working on oil lamps. I still have a lot of small knick knack parts to work on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

I've got my motor all hooked up to the hoist to pull out this w/e and pull the broken crank. I pulled the crank from my spare and it looks really good, still trying to get the gear off the snout, don't know if its ever been off. I can tell somebody replace the 4th rod because the cap is backward and one of the cotterpins on the rod bolt is a bent nail. Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

I unriveted a good gear from a cracked reverse drum, and a good drum from a chipped gear, and ordered more rivets to put the two good pieces together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

Yesterday was a good day for Carl and I, we took a leisurely drive down to the California DMV office and got licensed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 12:19 am:

Now that the roof is on and the rain (got our first snow 2 days ago) is
not pouring in the the shop, I pulled up the floor boards and adjusted
the brake band so I have brakes again. At last Tuesday night's meeting,
filled the straightened pan with solvent to leak test it before paint, then
laid out the transmission parts for reassembly, but upon cleaning the
clutch discs, discovered about half had bent tangs and were galled.
A search was initiated for a good set, but no matching originals could
be located, so a loose transmission was retrieved from the rust pile and
dissected for discs. By then, the night was getting long, so the transmission
was UN-laid out off the bench and put away until next week. The new
clutch set was left in the solvent to aid in cleaning on my next attempt.

Yesterday I sloshed out the oil pan with lacquer thinner to remove any
oily residue from the aforementioned leak test, and today I painted the
exterior of it and the pedals on the rebuilt hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 10:39 am:

2 down, one to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 11:49 pm:

I did a little baking...

...and balanced a reverse drum.

These drums are delicate enough without removing any material, so I riveted on extra weight and reduced it by drilling and grinding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mundinho Falcao on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 04:29 am:

I started building a test stand.

It's a bit of a tight squeeze between the rails. I set them at 20" but probably should have gone a bit wider for some wiggle room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 07:33 am:

Steve,

It looks like you over cooked your turkey this year it's all black! :-)

Did you powder coat it or are you baking on the interior sealer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 08:56 am:

Yesterday was a kind of nice day with some sunshine, so I went for a short drive around the neighborhood with two of my T's: The '26 Roadster Pickup and the '25 TT C Cab with Express bed. Warmed them both up real well, then put them in their winter parking places in the shed.

Right now I'm pulling a Larry Smith by having breakfast in front of the computer and checking out the Forum at the same time. :-) Ya, my Wife has already left for church so she can't complain about it. :-) :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:00 am:

Rustoleum satin black on the outside, Sprayon red insulating varnish inside. Looks like it pays to shop around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

I have bought much hardware from Zoro. They have alot of different items and are usually priced reasonably. But yes, it pays to shop around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

Mounted 2 tires on a cold concrete floor. That's enough!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Worked on hogshead assembly. The low pedal didn't want to fit onto the new shaft. I've had these adjustable reamers for several years, but never needed to use them until now, so it took me a few minutes to figure out how they work.

Got the pedal on its new shaft, painted it and some other parts, and put them in the oven to bake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

I figured out how to put Model A wheels on Overland spindles for my speedster. It wasn't as difficult as I had anticipated. I need to weld and grind a little more but hard part, thinking, is over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

Picked up a new toy, fixed the leaking pack nuts at the tank and carb then fired it up after 14 years or so of sitting.
I had to bring out the tracks and a ski to see what they will look like. I am very excited for some snow this year and hoping not to find any mechanical gremlins lurking in this old truck since it seems to have had some care along the way (last on the road in '72). I will attach a old cow bell to help with that at the soonest convenience.
I have the correct tracks to go with these skis but the TT tires fit nicely in the Snowbird tracks and should help with flotation.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration