Hood hinge rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hood hinge rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 10:45 am:

Should I buy the stainless steel? I have new steel ones but I'm sure they will rust right away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 10:52 am:

If you are building the car for looks, the stainless will not bleed rust from the rod itself. But, unless there is a little lubricant where the rod passes through the sheet metal of the hood, that will bleed rust anyway. Eventually.
I have just always kept the hood hinges oiled, myself. But the T's I have built have been just for fun, not show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 11:12 am:

I recall seeing a photo of the hoods hanging to dry They were, I think, panted after being assembled. As Jim said, you will still get rust from the hood unless lubed. Unless you want the steel to show between any gaps, you might need to to etch/prime before assembly so the paint would stick. 15+ million cars and trucks used the steel and I would bet most on the road still have the same. Or you could get the stainless ones and have a little bit of hood bling. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration