What do I do with these things? Please advise.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What do I do with these things? Please advise.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Along with all my dads T cars and parts, old toys, and stuff, I get hundreds of these things. Steel dealership scripts. As a kid I can remember he had these mounted to a board and hanging. Do I do the same and stick my kids with them or melt them down and make a boat anchor? Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

Tyrone

Check this out. Why not list photos on this site and sell them?

bad link will try again.

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on November 06, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

I would love to buy those from you. How's that for an answer ?

Hit me PM if that idea works for you. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

Burger, lol, that was to easy. "theres gold in them there script". I'll get back with you after the election. I need to find them all. I volunteer for the local election office and as you can imagine, we are stressing right now. Thank you. Thank you Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

People do collect those. I'd like to buy the Kansas ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

Tyrone,

Potentially you have a lot of money there.

Markets would be dealerships in the locations listed & cars that were sold from those dealerships.

You have some research to do - nice collection !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

Tyrone, here is a link to some e-bay auctions. I did a completed auction search for dealer script. There are 3 pages of them. Anything that is highlighted with green is a "sold auction" Most of the sold auction lots are for more modern plastic script, and the "sold price" is fairly cheap. But a lot of the older 50s 60s era metal scripts are selling in the 20 to 35 dollar range (each) and some are higher, especially the Volkswagon dealers ... If you have 100s of them as you state, you have enough, that you should do a little research. As a general rule "neater" means more money. So the one I see with the Pontiac indian head on it is "neater" and probably worth more... Anything other than plain block letters or plain script, deserves checking out. Good luck

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=dealer%20script&LH_Comple te=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

How were these typically attached?

Got to admit one of the first things I do with a new car is pull the dealership sticker off. They look like it would have been a bit harder to do

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

Later ones were stick on. The earlier ones required holes drilled into the trunk for either nuts on threaded studs or a bit later push in darts with friction fittings in the trunk holes. I remember my Uncle telling the dealership if you do that to my new car you can keep it. Tyrone, if you can dump them as a set I'd advise you to do so. There are hundreds of them for sale individually on e-bay and unless you're looking for a specific one they sit there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

If you have any Kiefer Chevrolet from Moorhead MN, I am looking for some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 05:22 am:

I remember reading about someone back in the '60's or '70's that sued a dealership for drilling holes in his trunk lid to mount one of those. He won and the dealership had to repair the damage. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

I even remove the dealer license plate frame. If they want me to advertise for them they can pay me.
I don't even want one that says My Other Car is a Model T. Just saying, to borrow a phrase from Howard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

Dale, my favorite plate frame was one that said,
"WHAT 'Other car'? I use the frames to protect the plate edges, otherwise, who needs 'em?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

Most of these oldtime dealerships are gone and have become as nostalgic as the cars they sold.

Many of us will remember advertising for the various dealers we grew up around. The radio slogans,
pitch songs, logos, etc. with affection.

To me, the advertising of a period dealer is every bit as cool as the period character of the car, be
that the brass dealer dash for my T, or the chrome scripts like Tyrone has that would have been put
on my 50's cars, or the license plates frames for the same.

Like the recent discussion here about off-topic posts vs. strictly Model T conversation, Model T's
did not occur in a vacuum without all this other stuff going on around them, be that architecture, hat
styles, or advertising .... to me, it is all relative and a LARGE PART of the very reason I am attracted
to old and cool ..... it's ALL old and cool !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 12:17 am:

Now that the picture finally downloaded, I would be interested in the "DEWEY OMAHA One!
David Dewey

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration