Bosch Distributor Installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bosch Distributor Installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

I am in the process of installing a Bosch American
clip on type distributor. I have a couple of questions, (1) Do you pack the gears with grease and how much, or how does it get lubrication. (2) Is there a MTFCA thread on how to set it up as far as wiring, TDC etc. Not knowing where to start to put first plug wire then using firing order going left or right on the cap. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

There is an excellent instruction sheet published by Bosch in the teens available from most of the peddlers. It is for the Bosch front plate dist but wiring, internals and so on will be the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Sam, does the Bosch distributor require a mounting plate of some sort that would replace the cam gear cover. The pic's I see from Langs looks as if it's a straight shaft design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

Thanks Jim. Jerry this is the one with the cam gear cover at the bottom.Fastens to the same bolt as the timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

I just finished Googling MTFCA distributors and there was pages of informaion, most post said get rid of it. Its really in excellent condition, if I can't get it set up its going to Moultrie Swap in a couple of weeks. In the long run it will cost me more to purchase coils and box. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Sam, I'm understanding that the Bosch requires a different cam gear cover. Right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

The front plate Bosch are different then the clip on.
the clip on just clips on in place of the timer.
To time a clip on Bosch;
Bring your engine up to top dead center and just a little past. I have seen some suggest just bring to TDC but I like to error on the side of safety. Mount your gear on the cam shaft, I use a filed off nail to fit in the key way. There is a 1/2" spacer that goes on first, then the gear and pin, last the nut.
There is no dedicated No 1 spot. It will be trial and error. What you are look to get, the points are just about to open when installed. The shaft turns counter clockwise looking from the top. You might have to pull it on and off and rotate to the next spot on the cam or back/forward a tooth to find the correct spot. What ever terminal in the cap the rotor points to becomes your No 1.
Lube; they came with a cover over the shaft on the engine side, pack that and the gear housing with grease. Fill and turn in the grease cup that should be on the side of the upper housing.
Which model do you have? There were several styles of the 600 clip on. There is one that is fully centrifugal advanced, no timing rod. The rest used the timing rod like a timer. If yours uses the rod you may want to get the rod fitted and close before you fully time it.
The Model T Ford Owner has full instructions if you can get a copy. Seems to me the Bosch booklet sold by the dealers is just a sales brochure not how to install instructions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

I think I got the message from Lang's that the Bosch setup requires a Bosch gear cover as opposed the the typical T cover. Thanks Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

The clip on uses the standard Ford timing cover.

The side drive Bosch magneto is a different setup a does use a different cover plate, somewhat like the pre-starter/generator cover plate.

The front plate Bosch distributor uses it's own cover plate.

There is no relationship between the clip on and front plate other then they are distributors and who made them. What is being talked about is era correct Bosch clip on not one with modern 009 head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

The good clip ons have a centrifical advance in them as well as the manual. Problem is obtaining points for the original ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Think I'll give up on Bosch as a possibility.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

There's fellow that posts on here now & then and he has NOS caps, rotors points, etc. for the early Bosch distributors.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration