How Many Of Us Do This?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How Many Of Us Do This?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Why would you put kerosene in the cylinders when hot? Didn't the gasoline have enough kerosene adulterating it in the day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

Not this one. Each spring I do give it a good going over but not to this degree. Then in fall I get it ready for a deep winter sleep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

Oil the hood lacing???? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Mark, when they were leather.
More often then suggested on some and others a lot less. With modern seals in the rear end, the grease stays more where is should be anyway. If you think about it, 50 miles could be a month or more of driving back in the day on dusty/muddy dirt roads. When that was written, bet there were a lot more cars put up for the winter then were driven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

My guess is that even in the day few folks would have followed that routine. I don't know who's list that was but it looks like a lot of overkill and unnecessary items to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

I do some for sure on a regular basis. Wonder if the Kerosene keeps the rings from gumming up???? Seems odd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

A good grade of kerosene is a pretty good degreaser. Probably used it as a desludging agent. The oil we use today is a LOT better than they used then. Non-Detergent oil didn't help as a de-sludger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

Of course! Doesn't every T owner or driver do these? There are a couple I don't do: Oil the hood lacing, Put Kerosene in cylinders. But I oil the steering parts according to when I drive the car rather than a monthly or yearly schedule. Usually before a tour. I also check the air pressure before driving if I haven't driven in the past month, and I also check gas,oil,and coolant before each time I drive it and every day if on a long tour which lasts more than one day.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

Back before my dog died, she was in charge of all this. Since she went off to
the great stick-toss-in-the-sky, all maintenance has gone to hell and the truck
is fast becoming a rolling deathtrap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

I like reading where it said put grease or vaseline in the front wheel bearings. Anyone think they removed the front wheels to grease every 400 miles??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

I don't reckon folks were any more diligent about scheduled maintenance back then than they are now. Speaking of that, maybe I ought to take Liz to the local "Power Lube" for an oil change tomorrow ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

Mark Strange,

I oil my woven type hood lacing. You might be amazed at what squeaks you'll eliminate if you do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 12:45 am:

That reminds me, I still have to install hood lacing in my Speedster project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

So that's why a soak in thinner will soften up 95 year old lacing that would rather break than bend for re-use!
Cool guide Hal!
It's funny how many oiling/greasing things I do at a 20 mile schedule or less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:47 am:

I get to drive my car maybe twenty miles a month, but I do a lot of these every time I pull out of the barn. Here's my pre-flight checklist:

Check gas level
Check oil level
Check water/antifreeze level
Inspect oil cups on suspension, refill as necessary
Check tire pressure

That's every time. Some stuff, like oiling the crank or twisting the grease cups, I do on an occasional basis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes, Mississauga, Ontario on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

I would suspect that like today many owners/drivers didn't do much on the list as presented.
Matters not to me as I have made a decent living repairing owners/drivers neglect, despite my continued efforts to educate and attempt to convince them otherwise......sigh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

Jerry

What kind of oil do you use and how much? A couple of drops?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration