Roof 8 valve and stock rebuilt engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Roof 8 valve and stock rebuilt engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

Hi,

I would like to know everyone's thoughts on putting a Roof 8 Valve head on a rebuilt stock engine. Would the bottom end hold up? I've read these heads were sold originally for the stock engine. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

yes it would work Alex if you need and extra set of eyes or hands to do the conversion send me a pm since I am right up the road

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

Alex,

While this may not be part of your original plans for the Roof, I think it best to put that
set up on my new engine with the C-race cam and SCAT crank to avoid any issues with
your stock engine. It is my highest concern to save you from any grief here. After a while,
I am sure you will agree this was the best move. Let me know how we can get shipping
arranged. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Neither version will hurt a stock engine. Those heads have pretty big combustion chambers, so there won't be much if any more compression than a stock head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

Spencer, thanks very much I really appreciate that. If I need some help I will certainly let you know. And burger, sounds like a nice engine and I'll give it some thought. Here's another question: what do you do for a head gasket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

I have run one on a stock T block. I had a carb adapter that used the stock T carb, so that limited the HP. I was quite satisfied.
There are head gaskets available for this combination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

get a head gasket from sandy olsen I use his gaskets on most customer engines

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

Thanks everyone for the info! really appreciated. Being a stock engine with the OHV head, what are some thoughts on rear end gear ratio? Stock ratio or 3:1?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

I would run chaffin's 3:33 rear end gears then you can still climb a hill unlike 3 to 1s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

Alex I have a roof overhead with a standard crank, the piston are 20 over, and ruckstell with 3-1 gears. It will run and easy 40mph. If you have any more questions shot me an e-mail or call me at 1-802-453-4918
Fitz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

Alex I think that you should let us know what the car is that you want to regear, is it your 27 gow job or is this one of the cars down at the shop pending on the weight of the car would determine stock gear 3:33 or 3 to 1 . If its your roadster 3:33 or 3 to 1 would make it go well over 55

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration