Latest wire wheel project - Phelps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Latest wire wheel project - Phelps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

Making some good progress on a pair of rear hubs today. These are replacing a pair of Phelps wire wheel hubs with keyways that are badly worn.

All that's left to do is drill and tap a few holes, mill the drive splines, and cut the keyway in the axle taper.

The original hubs have 4 webs that suspend the inner tapered axle bore. As the picture of the original hub shows, the keyway aligns with one of these webs. What the picture doesn't show is the crack on each side of the worn keyway that extends thru to the cavity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

Are you going to be able to replicate the patina? I assume the new hub is solid and skipping the weight savings of the original.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

Kevin (or others), has anyone got a original hub cap for these Phelps wheels?
I have cast some that I believe are correct
Nice looking hubs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

I suspect that the hollow cavity is more about maintaining a consistent wall thickness during the foundry process than it is for weight savings. The original hub is about 7 lbs. The new hub is cut from billet and will be just about 8 lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

Very nice looking work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

Les,
I remember your thread from a while back regarding these caps. You were after the cosmetic aluminum cap, not the steel wheel retaining plate.

I have not talked with my customer about how complete his wheel set is. I will mention your project next time I talk with him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Holy Crap Kevin - you da Man !!! I know someone who's going to be extremely happy !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

All that's left now is the keyways... Almost done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

Beautiful workmanship!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

All finished up and ready to ship!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:44 am:

Beautiful workmanship Kevin ! Thanks for taking on this project. Already received a "heads-up" from the owner to get his new tires ordered and he'll be ready to bring in the T !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration