**1915-1917 Coil Box Assembly**

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: **1915-1917 Coil Box Assembly**
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 01:48 am:

Coil box for Magneto cars with switch on the box and not on the dash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 02:04 am:

Martin, beautiful work as usual. I had a thought in the back of my mind regarding the metal tie strip which went between the front of the box and the wood panel at the rear. I can't help thinking I have seen a box with the switch and the tie strip. Perhaps others can pinpoint the date it was introduced.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 04:12 am:

Very nice Martin V!
One error however I see. You show square holes for the bolts to mount onto the firewall. I do not know exactly when that change was made, but I am fairly certain that the round holes carried clear through '16 model Year, and I think at least part of '17.
I think the round cornered single(blister)stamp cover was changed to the much more common square edged cover with the inset ends around late '16 or '17, probably earlier than those mounting holes changed from round to square.
Either or both of those earlier characteristics I would expect to see on '15s and '16s, as well as maybe early '17 models. 1918, I would expect both the later variations.
Also, on the lid you show a bead on the lower edge of the side facing the seat. For whatever it is worth, the earliest versions (first several months of '15 only), had no such bead. They were smooth on that side of the lid. Most of those "blister stamp" lids do have the bead on them. (My spring '15 will just have to be happy with the beaded lid, they are hard to get and tend to be pricey, I was glad to get the one I got!)
The metal tie strip Allan B mentions was added about the time the starter was first offered on the model T. I do not know it for a fact, but the story I have read is that the switch being mounted on the coil box stiffened it enough, that few people had trouble from the coils becoming loose. When the switch was moved from the coil box to the dash for the starter cars, the panel could flex just enough more that the two middle coils would slip back and lose contact. The steel tie strip was added soon after. I have seen a very few coil boxes with both the switch and the tie strip. They may have been altered? Or, they may have been late transitional non-starter cars from before Ford standardized for the switch to be on the dash regardless of a starter or not.

Again, Martin V, THANK YOU!
You do good work.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

You're right Wayne, I didn't notice that the holes should be round...although the bolts used are still carriage bolts, hmm, go figure, ok I made that change. Also the early 1915 coil box didn't have the bead on the front lid, they started that about mid year 1915. Of course that means I've got to draw that early 1915 box as well :-)

The reinforcement strap didn't come in until around 1917-1918. The switch was still on the box and in 1919 that's when Ford moved the switch from the box to the dash on all electric cars...on non-electric cars the switch stayed on the box clear through 1922.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

I think that "1/8" x 1/2" RH wood screw" should read #8 x 1/2".

Awesome work. Computer stuff like that is simply beyond me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Coilbox bolt discussion:

coilbox bolts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 02:13 am:

Phil, hmmm, that is perplexing isn't it, surprised they're not square nuts also...yet none of the vendors carry such bolts. But I suppose for the purest I should show those too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 01:34 am:

Very nice! You are getting some really good detail coverage here.
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 08:54 am:

Great job Martin! I didn't see the varnished cambric(?) tape between the wood bottom and the metal bottom. Maybe I missed it in your drawing. It's about 2-1/2" x 7" (just guessing at the size).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 06:14 am:

Vern, do you have any pictures of this tape? I can understand why it's used but I don't know what it looks like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:37 am:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 11:32 pm:

Martin,
I'll see if I can find an example.
Verne

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration